Old phone wiring

Old 07-18-03, 11:04 AM
Sidenote
Visiting Guest
Old phone wiring

Hello all,

I just bought a 70+ year old house and am having phone service hooked up next week. I realized that I should not look like a fool and know exactly where the network interface box is. So I looked outside, I looked inside, and could not find it.

I traced the overhead wire from the main pole to the house where it comes in through a wall in the basement...from there I traced the line to what I think is the box...although it is up in my drop ceiling, and looks like something that Bell himself would have used.

It's basically just a big hunk of metal that has the main line attached and then the house wiring is screwed to several large terminals. It is not fastened to anything, just hangs there with the wires attached. All I could do is laugh and shake my head.

What the heck am I dealing with here? Is this the junction box that I should show the person who comes to hook up service? Would the phone company install a new NID for a reasonable price?

There have been two other owners in the house in the last 15 years, so it suprised me that it is so old.

Thanks for any insight you can give me

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-03, 11:36 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's the typical setup of an old home - pre-NID years. I'm not a phone man, so I can't tell you for sure, but I think the phone company is supposed to install an NID outside the house anyway.

Some of the resident phone men here should be able to answer that question.