pc to a apple network

Old 08-01-03, 01:43 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question pc to a apple network

Hi, we have a PC and are going to try to hook up a apple down the basment. We got a 4 port router and tried to hook it up with them side by side and could not get to work, so we took the router back. And we are trying it again. I had one blockbestbuybuster man tell me that it can't be done cuz of the two different systems. And then over at comofficsusa guy say's that it can be done.so just wondering if i can get some help.
Thanks
Da Bear

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-03, 01:49 PM
dwhalen
Visiting Guest
it can be done but it requires some software that has to be installed on both computers i am not sure of the its like apple talk or something it will cost about 100 to 150 dollors but i will look it up for you if i can find i can probly get it for you cheaper then you will get it as i own my own companywork on computers for a living give me a chance to find it first and get back to you ok

Old 08-01-03, 01:53 PM
D
Angry What ?

THIS NOT THE HOME SHOPPING NETWORK.

Old 08-01-03, 01:57 PM
dwhalen
Visiting Guest
i am not trying to sell it to you i am just letting you know it requires software and i was just letting you know that the software was not cheap and i wasnt sure of the price or what it was called and i was going to be nice and get the answer for you on what it was called and if it was costly i was going to help you out and get it cheaper for you if i could but since you dont like the answer i have set forth for you i will retract my offer of help and move on

Old 08-01-03, 02:12 PM
D
SORRY

THIS SOUNDED LIKE WHAT'S BEHIND DOOR # 3.SORRY.
THIS WHLE THING IS TO HELP EACH OTHER AND IT SOUNDED LIKE YOU WERE TRYING TO SELL STUFF.
DaBear

Old 08-01-03, 02:16 PM
dwhalen
Visiting Guest
i understand i was trying to help you out i wouldnt push selling anything to anybody in here i was just trying to help but i will still look it up for you i havent dont a mac to pc in awhile so i acnt remember all the details on it for all i know wright now it ther could be a freeware version out now so i will look it up since i already know what i am looking for

Old 08-01-03, 02:25 PM
dwhalen
Visiting Guest
Da bear

what is your macs operating system if it os 10.2 you dont need any software i have a artical you will need to read but if its a differnt os let me know

Old 08-01-03, 03:40 PM
C
You want to hook them up. What are you trying to do? Share an internet connection, share files?

Old 08-01-03, 04:07 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you're just trying to connect to the internet through the router, you shouldn't need any software, you just need to setup the computer for DHCP.

Now, that being said, I'm not a Mac man. But, if you are just connecting to the net, then you do not need any translation software for PC to Mac.

That's my understanding of how it works anyway.

Tell us what model your router is just so we can check it out.

Old 08-01-03, 04:22 PM
D
pc 2 mac

Yes it is a os 10.2
yes we are trying to share a comcast cable.
Its a linksys modle #BEFSR41
INSTANT BROADBAND SERIES
D B

Old 08-01-03, 05:04 PM
C
Set both the computers in networking to use DHCP and the gateway to 192.168.1.1, the default value for the router. You can get the DNS values from the cable company, but you likely won't need it.

Set the router up to connect to your cable modem. You will need the same info the cable company gave you to connect. The router will connect to the cable modem which handles the internet for you. The router will need the DNS info from the cable company. It will get an address by DHCP from the cable company. Once everything is set shut down everything. Restart the cable modem, then the router, then the computers. They will all in turn get the info they need to share the connection.

Look in the computer's help files for setting up the computers to use the internet.

Be sure to change the password to the router. Check to be sure that remote administration is off.

HTH

Old 08-01-03, 05:49 PM
dwhalen
Visiting Guest
heres the link to all the info you will need 2 go between your pc and your mac http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...19/mac_pc.html

Old 08-01-03, 06:14 PM
D
Thumbs up pc 2 mac update

We did what you said and what linksys guy said and got it to work.
so a "BIG" thanks to all
I am not sure what this means =

"Be sure to change the password to the router. Check to be sure that remote administration is off".

But it is working so the boy is happy, going from a dialup to cable.
sorry if I sounded harsh to anybody but there is not enough room on here forstuff thats going on . This forum have been a big, big lifesaver for me from my kitchen to my pet to stove repair subfloor and what ever else comes up.
anyway thank to all.
Da Bear

Old 08-01-03, 07:00 PM
C
When you connect to the router using your browser, it asks for a password. The default password is given in the documentation. You should change the password to the router. It is on the second tab.

Click on the Advanced tab, then the first tab Filters. At the bottom of the page is a choice enable Remote Management. Be sure it is disabled. This keeps someone from hacking into your router from outside.

HTH

Old 08-01-03, 07:38 PM
D
That worked

Thanks
Da Bear