home wiring killing cordless phones?

Old 09-01-03, 12:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question home wiring killing cordless phones?

The inlaws have a strange problem. They cannot seem to keep a cordless phone working for more than a few weeks. New phones work for a few weeks and then stop working. New batteries do not help. Could something in the home be causing the phones to fail?
Old 09-01-03, 01:47 PM
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,261
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is the base unit failing or is the handset failing?
Old 09-02-03, 10:33 AM
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 219
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are they letting the first charge on the battery stay on the charger for 12 to 16 hours, before using the phone, as directed? Rechargable batteries need a long initial charge before being used. Many batteries are damaged by using the phone iimmediately after only 15 minutes or so of charging, on the first charge, when first installed. When the phone is used in this manner, the batteries never will reach their full potential.

Old 09-02-03, 11:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I'm not sure if it's the base or the handset. When you pick up the handset and turn the phone "on" you get an "in use" light, but no dial tone. You can hear a second or two of light static, but you never get a tone. The batteries were charged overnight prior to use. Plugging a corded phone into the same jack results in a dial tone. Thanks again!!
Old 09-02-03, 09:05 PM
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 16
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It appears that the headset is loosing its connection to the base -- meaning that it is no longer identified as the bases headset. I suspect that they are leaving it off the base until it totally looses battery -- and then putting it on the base for a recharge. Some phones need to have it synchronized with the base -- try going off-hook while it is still on the base and listen for dial tone. You could also try switching channels, but it sounds like a headset - base connection problem.

Bob H.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: