old jack new problem

Old 11-01-03, 08:17 AM
wethrin
Visiting Guest
old jack new problem

Hello, I've been reading thru the forum, and I'd like some advice on un-rewiring my 2nd phone line. I seem to have more colors of wire than y'all are mentioning here. I only have 3 phone jacks, the one in the middle of the cable was wired for a 2nd phone line.
The primary ones (first and last on the run, connected to the same phone #) have 4 terminals; the standard red, black, green and yellow-
the red wire connected to light blue/darker blue wire
green connected to yellow/blue
black connected to purple/blue
yellow connected to red/blue
I would almost assume that my wire had faded colors, except for the red/blue one...that couldn't have changed color that far...I also have a veritable plethora of other colors; brown, orange, green, several light blues...etc.

the second line, in mid run was connected to 2 orange and white cables, using only 2 of the 4 terminals.
Like an idiot, I assumed I could merely reconfigure the middle jack to conform to the colors of the other 2, and the jack would be back to the single working number. Unfortunately, one of the blue/blue wires was too short to reconnect, and of course the phone rang around then...ouch..so I gave up.
Of course now my phones are on the blink. Should I have tried to rewire the outlet, or should I have added the oranges to the red and green terminals at the main telephone box? How would one do that. Is it legal to access the box outside my condo?What now? The jack is not working, the dsl (on three) is on the blink, and the jack sparked yesterday when I tried to plug in the dsl cable...I'm obviously a bit off base somewhere, and I'd appreciate any advice...
Thanks
Cat

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-03, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know if you can get to the places needed, but re-wiring the interior seems to be a good idea. If for nothing more than your peace of mind.

You can likely get a book on how to install telephone wiring from your local hardware, lowes, or HD. Take a look at that. It should show you step by step how to wire everything. Pick up a roll of cable and take a run at it. This way you will understand what is done, the colors can be coordinated throughout, and the confusion of all the old wire will end. Just abandon the old wiring when you rewire.

Here is some information on telephone wiring.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

http://telecom.hellodirect.com/docs/...s.1.040401.asp

http://www.homephonewiring.com/

Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-03, 01:06 PM
wethrin
Visiting Guest
no, you got that in one- I can't get to most places that would need new wiring. This place has lofted ceilings, with no crawl spaces, and running it all along the baseboards was not an option I wanted to attempt (we have cats!). I went to those sites you recommended, and found everything I needed to fix this one jack from inside the house. Even used insulated tools and didn't get shocked (this time). I am typing on the dsl hooked into that jack right now, and chatting on the phone, which now rings more than once. You rule, thanks
Cat

Old 11-01-03, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glad you found a solution.