over amplify CATV signal

Old 12-09-03, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
over amplify CATV signal

I was reading a post and someone mentioned that adding an amplifier to the cable line may over amplify the signal to the first TV....

What exactly does an over amplified cable signal look like. I definately have seen on underamplified/weak signal.

Just curious.

Old 12-09-03, 07:37 PM
C
Amplification brings up the bad with the good. If the signal is simply weak, amplifying it some makes the signal strong enough for the receiver to work properly. Amplifying a noisy signal makes for a strong noisy signal. Amplifying a poor quality signal makes a strong poor quality signal. The receiver would have plenty of signal strength, but the performance would be plagued by poor quality.

If the receiver is not equipped with a means to dampen the signal if the strength is beyond the limits of the circuitry to manage, the receiver can be damaged by the over strong signal.

An over amplified signal may take on the appearance of unusual contrast or brightness in a television as well as ghost images.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-09-03, 09:40 PM
chfite,

thanks for the info. Like I said, I was curiuos as to what an over amplified signal would appear like on a TV. I guess now that I know the answer, it makes sense.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: