new telephone line

Old 12-15-03, 09:12 PM
linda104
Visiting Guest
new telephone line

The telephone company installed a new line to the outside wall of one of my bedrooms so my daughter could have her own line. The phone company charges $35. to come inside the house to connect this new line. I have a phone outlet in this room already from the old phone line. They have no problem with me connecting this line, but how. They said it was simple. After removing the outlet cover in the bedroom: there are 4 wires, 2 of which were connected, 2 were not. I tried all different versions of connecting these wires and still no dial tone. Can someone help? Thanks, Linda

Old 12-16-03, 08:02 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Take a look at this page - it will explain how phone wiring works and how to wire the jacks.

For the most part, if you have 2 pair of wires (4 wires) and 2 of them are connnected, then all you should have to do is switch the 2 that are not connected with the 2 that are connected (in theory.)

Make sure you are connecting the 2 new wires (probably the Black and Yellow wires) to the Red/Green of the phone jack - otherwise you won't get a dial-tone.

Also, make sure none of the wires are touching each other - this will short the phone line and cause you to not get a dial-tone.

Now, all that being said, I have a small problem with this installation - are you sure they "ran a new line" or did they just connect a phone number outside at the NID (the gray phone box)? If they actually ran a new line, they should have connected it for you. If they just installed a new number for you, then you will probably have to make the connection outside too.

From your explanation, I'm thinking they just installed the second number's block in the NID for you - which means you'll need to figure out which line runs from that NID back to the jack you want to use, then just move the Red/Green from that line from the old number to the new number. Or, connect the Black/Yellow from that line to the new number and rewire the jack to use the Black/Yellow wires. Same thing either way.

Take a look at that link above and it will explain this a little better.

Good luck!

Old 12-16-03, 09:53 AM
linda104
Visiting Guest
reply to phone wiring

thank you so much for the reply. The web page is very informative. To answer your question about a new phone number box (nid). This is at my daughter's house and I have not physically looked at it so I do not know What they actually did outside. Thanks again for the support. If we cannot get it figured out they have a friend that can come over tomorrow to check it out.
Linda

Old 12-16-03, 06:30 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
usually on a residential location electricians loop one wire to all locations in the house so if you take the black and yellow wires and connect them to the green and red terminals on jack and also go to the interface outside and connect the black and yellow to the new number all should work

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: