static in digital cable music

Old 01-13-04, 10:10 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
static in digital cable music

We have digital cable music through the cable company and have been having a problem with static on one channel (right).
I am confident that it is nothing to do with my equipment (when I switch the RCA cables on the back of the cable box, the static moves from the right to left speaker).
The cable guy came out last week and replaced the digital box, but the static returned the other day.
We have an AC cable booster in the basement because our signal was low when we first moved in 2 years ago. It consists of a powered unit that has the cable input from the street and then has several outputs for different rooms.
Last night, I unplugged the cable booster in my basement when the static was occurring and then replugged it back in. The cable signal cut out completely when I unplugged the booster from the electrical outlet. When I plugged it back in, the static was gone for a while.
Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Can coaxial cable carry static on one channel?
I also tried moving the AC plug from the booster to another outlet but the static recurred.

Old 01-13-04, 05:23 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If replacing the box solved the problem for a while, I would look suspiciously at the box as the problem.

Static can ride on one channel. The channels are multiplexed together. The static can be on one channel the same way the channel carries only one station's data.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: