How would cat 5 help me ?

Old 01-17-04, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How would cat 5 help me ?

Pardon my lack of knowledge in this department.

I was intending to run underground conduit from my home to a work shop located about 150' in my back yard to supply cable and a phone line. I want to set a tv, computer, intercom and phone line.

My thought process was to supply the phone w/ the phone line and branch off the coaxial to my computer. I'm assuming that branching off the coaxial to the computer would work but as I said before, I'm no expert.

Can someone explain or point me to a link that can explain how all this devices would be connected by using cat 5 cable.

Is there additional equipment needed to perform this work ?

Is 1/2" pvc big enough to run this cable underground?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-04, 07:22 AM
Are you going to be networking with computers in the house? I'd run 1 cat5 for computers , 1 cat5 for phone and intercom, and a shielded coax for the TV. If you aren't networking you only need the one cat5 for the phone/intercom....and the coax. You get internet connection from either cable or phone.

1/2' pvc is plenty big, but for the price and perhaps future needs I'd probably use 3/4. You just have a lot more room to pull with 3/4" too.

If you pull the wire through as you build the sections of pipe you won't need a fish tape. A crimper to make up the ends of the coax and one for the twisted pair lines is all the specialized equipment you need.

Old 01-17-04, 09:21 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My thought process was to supply the phone w/ the phone line and branch off the coaxial to my computer. I'm assuming that branching off the coaxial to the computer would work but as I said before, I'm no expert.
What are you wanting to do with the computer? TV or internet/network? If you want TV input, then sure, just split the coax for the TV and computer.

However, if you want cable internet, your best bet is to get a router in the house and run Cat5 to all the computers - including the one in the shop. This way they can all share internet access.

If you run coax to the computer for internet access, you'll have to have a separate cable modem and you'll have to pay monthly for it.

I would run at least 3 Cat5's - if you need 2, run an extra. 1 Coax will do - you can always slit it. And make sure you run a pull string with the wiring - sure would be a pain to fish later.

Good luck!

Old 01-17-04, 09:43 AM
webrebel & SafeWatch
Thanks for your input.

Just so I know I'm getting this right !

If I run coax I can still use my computer in the shop but not simultaneously with the one in the house unless I get another modem which I would have to pay to subscribe, correct ?

What if I bought the modem outright, do I still need to pay monthly to the Service Provider ? And could I then run both computers at the same time.

SafeWatch,
What did you mean by "you can always slit it"

I would run at least 3 Cat5's - if you need 2, run an extra. 1 Coax will do - you can always slit it.

What advantages does cat 5 have over regular phone line if I just run the coax and decide not to network my computers.

Thanks,

Old 01-17-04, 11:31 AM
So you have a cable modem....ok. Safewatch had the best answer. Network the machines using cat5.

You can buy the modem, but you'll still pay monthly service. You'll pay twice if you get a second modem.

I think he meant split it....

Not much difference in phone line if all you do is phone.

Old 01-17-04, 03:51 PM
S
Yeah, sorry, split it - like you would split it to different TV's.

Essentially, what you are doing by networking the computers behind a router is "fooling" the cable company into only charging for one IP address (each "node" on a network has an IP address.) The router would keep your Internet IP for you, then you would have internal IP addresses that would be invisible to the internet.

Don't worry about the semantics of it - just understand that if you have 2 modems, then your cable company will see both and charge you double for it. If you network, you only get charged once.

Of course, the other option is to use a wireless network, but at that range you'll get slower speeds and maybe no signal at all since you're talking about separate buildings and possible obstructions.

If you're just running phone lines, then 22/4 will be fine - but as cheap as Cat5 is, I would say go ahead and run Cat5. You'll get less static (especially if there is any power wires near the lines - or if you get some interference between the house and shop.) Plus you have the added advantage of 6 more wires to use, instead of just 2 more - that should be enough to run an intercom off of (depending on the model.)

Good luck!

Old 01-17-04, 04:20 PM
Thank you all for your input and for not being selfish about sharing your expertise.

Ray

Old 01-17-04, 04:26 PM
Okay one more question.

I plan to use the same trench to run my electrical (#4 AWG in conduit) and the cat 5 in conduit out to the shop separated by about 6 inches of back fill.

The electrical being about 18 inches deep.

Will that be adequate ??

Ray

Old 01-18-04, 08:12 AM
S
You'll have to check your local codes to answer that - it's typically different in different areas.

I would say more like 12 inch separation though between your electrical and Cat5 - more if you can.

If you're running electrical in parallel to phones and possible data - definitely use Cat5, it's less susceptible to to interference and induction.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: