No Dial tone

Old 01-20-04, 10:57 AM
kwright001
Visiting Guest
No Dial tone

Hi,
I live in an older home, 1958, and I have installed 4 new phone jacks. This past weekend, all phone jacks have no dial tone. The phone company is due to come out, and check their line .... from what they've been telling me, they say it's a "equipment failure". I have a feeling that they are going to say their line is ok, and will want to charge me to work on my phone lines ...what can I do myself, so as not to get charged $91/half hour!!!

Thanks in advance!
Kim

Old 01-20-04, 11:22 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Start by taking a look at the SafeWatch link in my signature - in the menu to the left you will see a link for "Phone Wiring". It will explain how phone lines work and how to generally work on them.

Of course, you'll want to take a regular phone (non-cordless) outside to the NID (explained in the link) to test the phone company lines - if you disconnect the inside phones and still have no dial-tone, then it's not your fault. If you disconnect the inside lines and get a dial-tone, then you have a problem somewhere.

From there, you will need to trouble-shoot the inside lines - it sounds like you may have shorted the Green and Red wires somewhere causing an off-hook phone line. One way to check that is to call the house from a cell phone or neighbor's phone and see if you get a busy signal. Since you just recently installed 4 phone jacks, I would say that would be a good place to start.

More than likely you've just got a short somewhere in one of your new jacks - make sure none of the wires are touching inside the jacks. The Phone Wiring link will give you a better idea of what to look for.

Let us know how it goes and Good luck!

Old 01-21-04, 01:07 PM
kwright001
Visiting Guest
Thanks! I haven't taken a look at the Safewatch site, but I'm sure it will be helpful.

I actually installed 3 fo the 4 jacks, and that was over a year ago. The phone company's tech. came out yesterday, and he found one bad line and he disconnected it for me. He didn't charge me either! Woo-hoo! So, now the jack that I had my computer hooked up into and the jack in the basement (only one I didn't install) are still dead. I think the wire he pulled from the bundle, is the one leading to the computer jack. The other jack, in basement, I found that it is tied into another jack ...jumper, splitter, or whatever the correct terminology is. That "jumper jack" doesn't work either. I thought maybe it wasn't working, because I left exposed wires in my living room. However, the exposed wires have been that way for over a year now, and they weren't touching one another. So, I'm thinking it might be due to just old wiring.

I will take a look at the other site, and if I have more questions ...I'll be back!

Kim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: