Changing phone jack

Old 01-31-04, 09:14 AM
Carz n Compz
Visiting Guest
Changing phone jack

My basement phone jack seems to give a very weak signal and I can barely hear people talking when using it. Could I have to replace the outlet (new thing that you attach the little wires too)? IS there anything to turn off while working on these things? I think I remember feeling a shock when I touched one of them a few years ago.

Thanks

Old 01-31-04, 09:21 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There's nothing really to turn off - you could disconnect the test jack at the NID outside (see Phonwiring.SafeWatchService.Com for more info on that.) However, it's not completely necessary either. As long as you keep from touching both wires at the same time, and keep your fingers dry, you don't have too much to worry about (there's very little voltage on the line anyway, even when ringing.)

However, I don't think your problem is the jack - if you are not having problems in the rest of the house, you probably have an old or bad phone line running to that jack. Start with the jack and see what happens (it's the cheapest and easiest thing to do), if that doesn't work see if you can run a new line.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-04, 07:53 AM
Carz n Compz
Visiting Guest
Your link is broken BTW.

Thanks for your assistance.

Old 02-01-04, 09:10 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hmm, works for me.

Try going directly to it: http://www.safewatchservice.com/catalog/phonewiring.php

Or

Click the SafeWatch link in my signature and look for the "Phone and RJ31X Wiring" link in the Information box to the left.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-04, 11:21 AM
Carz n Compz
Visiting Guest
Ok, Thanks

Old 02-02-04, 08:33 AM
R
Verify that it is not the telephone first. Use the phone in another jack and/or directly in the network interface jack. Also try a different phone in the basement jack.

If the phone is not the problem you could try replacing the jack, but unless the jack is visibly defective then it is probably the wiring.

Old 02-07-04, 04:31 PM
DatacomGuy
Visiting Guest
I agree with Racraft.

1. Verify if it's the phone by testing with another. Make sure you try a standard cord phone (versus cordless).
2. If still cruddy, then chances are it's your cable... however, it's easier to test the jack first. Change out the jack. It's fairly simple, but if you are uncomfortable, document how the jack is wired before disconnecting it. Install new jack and test line.

If still crappy, then its cable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: