Telephone Line Humming Noise

Old 03-24-04, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Telephone Line Humming Noise

I just had Direct TV installed in my house. Since the installation I noticed a humming/bussing on the phone line. All my lines, cordless and wired. Very annoying but we can still use the phone. Prior to the installation I added several new phone jacks to connect to the receivers. I did not notice a problem until the dish was activated. I called the installer and Direct TV. They said it could be a grounding problem. (I can see the dish is not grounded) The installer said the cable splitter ( I have 5 receivers)is too close to my electrical breaker box. While I'm waiting for someone to come to my house??? Is there a way I can isolate the problem so I know it is not the phone lines and is Direct TV.

Any ideas? Solutions. I don't want to disconnect all my phone jacks. I have lots of them...

Thanks. Ben

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-04, 05:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you treid just disconnecting the phone lines from the DirecTV boxes? It's all just process of elimination - eliminate some devices, then some jacks (if you have to) and you'll find your problem.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-04, 07:16 PM
yeah just start with the last thing you did i would also unplug the phone from all receivers and see what happens

Old 03-24-04, 09:45 PM
Thanks. I'm working on it. Does anyone know what causes humming on the line? I connected many phone jacks and I never had this problem.

Old 04-02-04, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by BENS
Does anyone know what causes humming on the line?
Tell the guy who has a tap on your line to hang up

Old 04-02-04, 07:35 PM
LOL.

It's usually something grounding the phone line - like a loose wire somewhere, water in the lines, etc. Could also be a phone line too close to a power line. Could be interference from electronic devices. Could be radio interference (the line can act as an AM antenna.) There are often cases of AM radio being picked-up over the phone lines. Easiest cure is to add a loop of line to the existing lines and just coil it up somewhere - this changes the frequency of the line.

Good luck!

Old 04-10-06, 09:49 AM
I have humming and static on my line. This only happens when it rains. Yet the phone comp. says it's not outside but inside. How is this possible? What can I do?

Old 04-10-06, 10:15 AM
Does the humming exist when you plug a phone into the network interface?

If it does, then it's the phone company's problem.

If it does not then it's your problem. Find out which wire it is and replace it.

Old 04-10-06, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Las time I had a humming problem on the line, it was due to a short to ground in the underground portion of the line from the pole to the house. Phone company ran a new section.

Old 04-10-06, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by sundacne
I have humming and static on my line. This only happens when it rains. Yet the phone comp. says it's not outside but inside. How is this possible? What can I do?
Isolate the trouble at your interface by using the test jack and then take off one wire at a time until the trouble clears. You could also use an ohm meter and look for trouble that way. More often than not it will be on a wire that is running in a place that is damp. Garage, basement, crawl space, or one that may run out to another building like a detached garage or barn. It is possible it can be coming from a piece of your equipment like a telephone, fax, or answering machine so be sure and check that first.

Old 04-14-06, 02:15 PM
ground hum only when it rains would lead me to believe you have a ground rod problem at the NID or a leak in your NID.. as to hum on the lines, an I/W near a flouresent fixture will induce hum... g/R/bk/Y wire is real bad about picking up 60cycle hum when near any electrical wire or fixture.. your cable hookup should have a ground lead going to the ground rod outside, just before it enters your house.. this is also to protect you from outside hits on that satelite dish.. not that the ground wire would stop a lightening hit from coming in and destroying your reciever, tv, and everything else near it.. 60cycle induction can come in from all sorts of unlikely places.. you have to do like someone above recommended, undo each thing you've just done, one at a time to see where the induction is getting into your tele. line.. if you do have the old (not used anymore) G/R/Bk/Y I/W, try to get rid of it and get some good twisted cable like cat 3 or above.. the old stuff has NO twist and doesn't do anything for helping to eliminate X-talk or induction.. good luck.. a good noise mitigator is well worth the buck..

Old 04-20-12, 12:22 AM
Noise/hissing on land line

PHONE NOISE PROBLEM SOLVED. I had hissing on my phone (land) line. AT&T tech traced it to my AT&T DSL modem. AT&T gave me a new one as I was a long time customer. Then, I had the same problem 2 months later. It always seems to happen after a heavy rain. Another AT&T tech came by and traced it to my modem.....again. I will say that I have new respect for AT&T techs. They were both very dedicated and spent several hours trying to resolve these issues. However, the second time, I doubted it could be the modem again, as it was new and all filters were working properly. He suggested we disconnect the modem via it's internet address. In your browser, type 192.168.1.254 (enter) which was the internet address of my browser. I presume yours is the same, but it might not be. You then get the AT&T modem login screen. Your password should already be there. It may ask for the ID of your modem. That would be the ID number on the label on the bottom of your modem. Then click "disconnect". It will disconnect and then reconnect. The hissing was gone. Hope this tip works for someone.