New Home wiring questions

Old 04-04-04, 08:14 PM
69fbird
Visiting Guest
New Home wiring questions

I have read most of the info here about wiring a new house, but I still have a few questions for my house. First, I'm the builder, so the electricians are doing just the basic electrical. I'm doing the cable/phone. I want to do something basic like phone,cable or sat to each room. Do they make a wire that has all that in one cable, I thought they did? Would they exit the wall in the same outlet box?
In my area, all the elec needs to be run in metal conduit, Does that
apply for this wiring also? Hope not. In all I have 7 rooms to do, what would a estimate for materials be, for my project? Any other advice, please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-04-04, 09:33 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I believe what you are referring to is the 2x2 bundled cable - something like this. Basically, it's just 2 pair of Cat5e and 2 pair of RG-6 Quad bundled together in a common jacket.

For something like you want, you can just run it all to one single gang box and put in a 4 or 6 port plate. Then you'll pop-in the keystones as you need (phone, cable, satellite, data, etc.)

I can't imagine you would have to conduit any low-voltage wires, but you might want to check with the local codes - I've never heard of having to conduit line voltage in a home either, though. Are you sure they are not referring to commercial applications in metal framed walls? Or something to that effect?

For seven rooms, depending on the size of the runs, I would say plan on $500-750 - you may be able to get by with 1 2x2 bundle, but it will probably take 2.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-04, 09:18 AM
69fbird
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help.
Were can you buy this stuff, home depot or radio shack??

Thanks again

Old 04-06-04, 09:59 AM
Well, you could always buy it from SafeWatch!

I wouldn't go to Radio Shack. It would probably be less expensive at Home Depot or Lowe's. Just look around.

Anyway, I'd get it from [shameless yet well-deserved plug] SafeWatch [/shameless yet well-deserved plug] here...

Chris

Old 04-06-04, 03:35 PM
S
LOL, thanks Chris. I try to adhere to the no advertising rules as much as possible. But, if someone it suggesting a link...

Let me know what you need and I'll work out something for you, 69fbird.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: