What is necessary?

Old 04-05-04, 07:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is necessary?

I know the basics, but I wanted to know some things:

In a house, when running cat5e cable, is it necessary to use plenum cable?

Also, I never did learn the difference between "stranded" cable vs "solid" cable. Could someone explain, please?

Let's see... What else? Oh, for cable TV, internet, satellite, etc connections, which "rg" type cables are used? What I mean is, what is the difference between rg58, rg6, etc? And, what are these cables used for specifically?

Thanks!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-04, 07:30 PM
Oh, and one other thing. Is there any distinct advantage to using cat5e cable for a phoneline instead of cat3 cable? Will using cat5e actually improve phone service at all or would that just be a waste of money and good cable?

Thanks!

Old 04-05-04, 07:37 PM
From what I've read, the ONLY difference between plenum and non-plenum cable is that plenum cable is coated in teflon so that, in case of fire, it doesn't emit toxic gases. Is that it? If so, I'm going to save the money and put in non-plenum cable... Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris

Old 04-05-04, 08:03 PM
Correct on the Plenum cable. It's typically used in commercial environments.

Stranded vs. Solid - there's no difference as far as communication/quality/connections/etc. The only time it's really makes a difference is with audio - since electrons only travel along the outside of the wire, you get better quality with stranded.

The RG rating is the bandwidth rating basically. RG-6 or better is required for digital reception (Satellite, and in some cases Digital Cable, but not always.) If wiring a house, you'll want to use at least an RG-6. If you're hooking up CCTV or something similar, RG-59 will do.

Cat5 is less susceptible to interference from outside sources or inductance. But other than that, no real difference for phones.

Did I miss anything?

Old 04-05-04, 08:29 PM
CAT5 vs. CAT3 if you are going to buy cable but just one type and use it for everything. Of course, that would be CAT5. If you are going to pull cable, keeping it all the same makes life easier.

Stranded is better for patch cables and more expensive than solid which is easier to crimp and punch down. Use solid, I did and I was pleased.

Old 04-05-04, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by SafeWatch
Correct on the Plenum cable. It's typically used in commercial environments.
Cool thanks.

Stranded vs. Solid - there's no difference as far as communication/quality/connections/etc. The only time it's really makes a difference is with audio - since electrons only travel along the outside of the wire, you get better quality with stranded.
So only for like speaker wire, etc then will stranded be better? Ok, cool.

The RG rating is the bandwidth rating basically. RG-6 or better is required for digital reception (Satellite, and in some cases Digital Cable, but not always.) If wiring a house, you'll want to use at least an RG-6. If you're hooking up CCTV or something similar, RG-59 will do.
So, RG6 is HIGHER of a rating than RG59? Seems strange since 59 is obviously a higher number than 6. Oh well, I didn't name the stuff. Yeah, this cable will be run for digital cable and high speed internet (both from Comcast). RG6 is definitely the way to go then? What is better than RG6?

Cat5 is less susceptible to interference from outside sources or inductance. But other than that, no real difference for phones.
Ok, cool.

Did I miss anything?
Nope, thanks!

Originally posted by chfite
Stranded is better for patch cables and more expensive than solid which is easier to crimp and punch down. Use solid, I did and I was pleased.
Ok. Solid is what I have always used and haven't had a problem, so I think I'll stick with that.

Thanks guys,

Chris

Old 04-06-04, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I would go solid - much, much easier to work with. Powered/Amplified audio solutions (IOW, speakers) are typically the only time you'll need or want stranded.

On the other hand, sometimes you can find a good deal on stranded (cuz nobody wants it.) I've gotten deals as good as buy 1, get 1 on stranded, just because the supplier had so much of it laying around and weren't moving it.

Old 04-06-04, 05:43 PM
Thanks guys,

I get a little less dumb every time I come here...

Chris

Old 04-06-04, 10:09 PM
Glad I read this thread, I plan on rewiring my house I'm moving into with cat5e for networking and voice. I was wondering if I should use PVC or Plenum cabling, sounds like I can save money there.

Another question I have regarding cat5e is since I only want to run once, I want to make sure I get high quality cable. Are there certain brands I should look for and pay the premium for them? Or is some of the generic bulk stuff that is sold online good enough as long as the specs are decent?

Old 04-06-04, 10:45 PM
I buy bulk and have never had a problem. I don't really pay attention to the brands, but from what I have in front of me, it's "General Cable".

Chris