tel ans machines & static

Old 05-01-04, 07:26 PM
stanb5
Visiting Guest
tel ans machines & static

Being of modest means, I find it necessary to choose the inexpensive telephone answer machines. Invariably, I get phone line static which clears up after the answering machine has been disconnected for a few hours. Can someone comment on my problem. Am I unlucky or are all of the cheap answering machines causing static for others? The biggest problem is that my dial up internet service won't cut through the static. I'm not real sure that I would get better results with a more expensive machine. Thanks for any help that I can get.

Old 05-02-04, 09:47 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, as the old adage goes - You get what you pay for.

But, just to make sure, why not tell us your method for troubleshooting? How did you figure out that the answering machine was the problem?

If you can disconnect the ans machine and the static goes away instantly, then I would say yes, that's your problem. However, if you still get static with the ans machine disconnected, then it's not your problem. Start with the NID outside and work your way back. If you get static at the NID outside, then call your phone company - it's their problem.

If you want to learn a little bit about phone lines and how to connect them - see http://phonewiring.safewatchservice.com

Good luck!

Old 05-02-04, 10:18 PM
stanb5
Visiting Guest
trouble shooting the static

I get a clear dial tone at the nid. The phone company says they show a 6-7 ohm short inside the house. The static is present at all of the phone jacks. It takes several hours or longer after unpluging the answering machine for the static to go away. If I leave the phone answering machine unplugged, I don't get static.

Old 05-03-04, 08:15 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it's taking that long for the static to go away, I don't think the ans machine is your problem.

However, another thought occurs to me - how are you unplugging the ans machine? Are you unplugging the cord from the machine or the cord from the wall?

Try both and see what happens. Take a cordless phone with you around the house and try unplugging different cords from different devices. See if you can figure out which one is causing the problem.

If all of your phone lines are home run to the NID (unlikely if it's a newer house), then you can try disconnecting each one individually from the NID to see which is causing problems.

Troubleshooting is all process of elimination - start with the easiest things to eliminate and work up (cords and devices are the easiest to replace.)

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: