2 out of 4 is bad

Old 07-07-04, 07:27 PM
sixpackbaker
Visiting Guest
2 out of 4 is bad

I have 4 phone jacks in my house.
2 are connected to a network interface system (both uses the red and green wires connected to 'Line 1' via screw down) and the other two are conncted to an old system (it has a ceramic base with a black button-like thing).
The 2 jacks that are connected to the old system work but I get no dial tone with the other 2 (i tried both the jacks and plugging the phone directly into the NI).
My question is how can I get all four jacks to work on the same line?
please help.

Old 07-08-04, 05:58 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need to call the phone company - they did not make the connections outside the house correctly. Your NID should be where your dial-tone is at. I believe it's also their responsibility to move the old lines from the old connection to the NID, but I may be wrong about that.

I would have them come out and check it out first - you should definitely get dial-tone at the NID.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-04, 11:43 PM
irsean
Visiting Guest
They're not actually required to move lines from one NID to the other. They probably will if you ask them but, if you call them out there will be a charge. The first question I have is: Are the NIDs close enough to move the pairs over yourself? If not, you can run a pair from the working DEMARC to the inoperative DEMARC (NID). When you refer to one terminal as NID (Net Interface Dev) and the other as "screw-downs", I assume one is a grey (plastic) box and the other is just a couple of threaded posts and screw lugs (probably a couple of fuse like things: carbons) with the working pair at the newer, plastic NID and the inop pair at the screw type terminals. Disconnect the drop (telephone company pair) from the screw-type and tie a pair off of the bridging pair that was ran between the two NIDs. Otherwise, it's a rewire.
You can buy a phone line tester from Radio Shack that will tell you if you have polarity (Tip and Ring) correct.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: