Know nothing about phone cabling a house

Old 07-19-04, 12:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Know nothing about phone cabling a house

Hi all,

Bought a new (actually an old 1910 colonial) house. There is phone wiring running all over. MOST of the phone cable is actually running outside the house and is coming directly to jacks inside the house from drill holes the previous owner had. First of all, I don't like the fact that all these cables are outside.

First of all, there is a NID box outside that has a whole mess of these cables coming out of it. Next, that box seems to be connected to a different "telephony" box, and THAT is connected by a green wire to some kind of cable (meaning coax) box. I assume that is Comcast tying the cat3 wiring into their cable line?!

Basically, I want to do this:

1. Remove ALL current phone wiring.

2. Run cat3 (I know I could use cat5 which would be better) all throughout the INSIDE of the house. This I have actually already done, although nothing is connected, it's just wire laying around, going into the basement.

3. I want to move the NID box down into my basement and connect all my new wiring to that.

Can I do all this? What am I allowed to touch, and what am I NOT allowed to touch?

Basically, I just want to clean everything up and run it all inside the house properly...

Thanks!

Chris

Old 07-19-04, 05:06 PM
C
The NID belongs to the telephone company. I imagine you ought to check with the company before moving it. The wiring on your side of the NID is yours to have and to hold, remove or replace as you choose.

When I rewired my house for cat5, I abandoned the old telephone wiring.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-19-04, 05:14 PM
S
Take a look at Chris' phone wiring and networking setup (he'll have to post the link again) - he did a good job.

Also, take a look at http://phonewiring.safewatchservice.com for some tips/tricks/hints on how to wire up the NID, etc.

I suggest you take a Cat5 from the NID to a "wiring closet" or "wiring board" in the basement (see Chris' wiring.) You only need one Cat5 per 4 phone lines. From there you can get a 110 distribution or phone system or whatever you want to distribute to the rest of the house.

The other advantage to this is that you can connect your DSL modem in the same area in the basement and run your network cables from there. Or, cable modem, if you like

Good luck!

Old 07-19-04, 05:22 PM
I'm installing a CAT5 patch panel in the basement where all the internal LAN wiring will go. I've also run all the CATV RG6 cable to a central point near that patch panel. Basically, the last step is to move the NID box into the basement next to thw other two center point so that everything is in one spot. Basically, all I need to do (I think) is to get the NID moved from the outside wall to the basement. Best to call Comcast to see if I can do that (or to see if they'll do it)?

Once it's in the basement, I should be able to punch down all the wire I've already run to the basement. I just need to move the NID.

Chris

Old 07-19-04, 06:58 PM
C
Here is what he refers to:

http://www.k4tet.us/cat5

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: