New house cabling quesions

Old 07-26-04, 03:54 PM
mjolhe01
Visiting Guest
New house cabling quesions

I plan on running RG6 and CAT5E throughout the house and I had a couple of questions:

In many of the rooms, I am unsure of the future location of the outlets. I don't want 6 outlets in every room, so my plan was to put a loop in the locations I think I may place outlets, detail the location of these loops, and go back in later to install an outlet:

1) Will inspectors take issues with this?
2) Will this create any loop-antenna type interference issues?
3) How much of a bend will start causing changes in the characteristic impedance?
4) Do I need some sort of termination for the cables

My phone and cable box are on the opposite side of the house from where my utilities will be located should I:
1)Enter the house on the same side of the box and put the junction box/NID there.
2)Run the primary cable around the house
3)Run the primary cable through the house, and split at the utilities.

Also, should I use twist on or crimp type connectors?

Thanks
Eric

Old 07-27-04, 06:46 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1) Will inspectors take issues with this?
No, this is actually common. Just make sure you keep the wires inside a box (actually not necessary) and put a blank plate over it before your final.

2) Will this create any loop-antenna type interference issues?
Possibly, but unlikely. Also, you're not going to actually connect these wires to any devices on either end until you're ready to use them.

3) How much of a bend will start causing changes in the characteristic impedance?
No more than 90* is a good rule of them. Most Cat5 and RG6 will bend easily enough with no problem. The main thing is to stay away from line-voltage (AC) wires - no only for interference issues, but also for inspection (the AHJ won't pass you if you have low-voltage and line-voltage close by or through the same holes.)

4) Do I need some sort of termination for the cables
Nope, see 2 above - don't connect anything until you know what you want to use the cables for.

My phone and cable box are on the opposite side of the house from where my utilities will be located should I:
1)Enter the house on the same side of the box and put the junction box/NID there.
2)Run the primary cable around the house
3)Run the primary cable through the house, and split at the utilities.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. You may need some more education on structured wiring and exactly how it works. But, the basics are this - it doesn't matter where the NID is or where your wiring closet is, you're just going to run one (or 2 is better) lines to your wiring closet from the NID (this will be your feed); then you will distribute your cable/satellite and phones from that point. In other words, just bring your utilities to where you are making your connections - don't worry about locations.

Also, should I use twist on or crimp type connectors?
CRIMP - absolutely, no questions asked. If you have it in the budget, go with compression fit for the coax (it's weatherproof.) The screw-on connectors will give you nothing but headaches.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Good luck!

Old 07-29-04, 09:55 AM
mjolhe01
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response.

I have a couple of long rectangular rooms, so I guess I had not planned on even putting face plates in. There are 6-8 potential spots for outlets and it could get ugly with all those face plates. I was just going to carefully note where the loops are go back in later.

Sorry for the confusion about my second set of questions. I'm not familiar with all of the terminology.

The transformer and pedestal are on one side of the house, my utility room is on the other. I guess the electrians won't move the breaker box into the utility room, but I would like to keep the distribution point in the utility room. I was just trying to figure out if I should go through or around the house.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to interface with the phone and cable co's:
What exactly will the installers take care of?
Do they need some kind of access box on the outside of the house?
or does the feed into my distribution point come directly from the pedestal?
Do I need to take care of the grounding, or will the installer handle that?
Also, If I use the above configuration (distribution on opposite side of grounding rod), will I have ground leakage issues?

Thanks,
Eric

Old 07-29-04, 05:28 PM
Eric,

If there is the slightest possibility of 'up-grading' to Satellite in the future, now is the time to do it correctly. Run an RG6 homerun to each possible TV location from a central dist. point. Even two cables to the main tv location would be even better.

fred

Old 07-29-04, 06:21 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a couple of long rectangular rooms, so I guess I had not planned on even putting face plates in. There are 6-8 potential spots for outlets and it could get ugly with all those face plates. I was just going to carefully note where the loops are go back in later.
It can definitely be done that way, but it's not very practical. If you don't like the white wall plates, just paint over them. The idea behind structured wiring is that when you are ready to make changes, all you have to do is switch a few wires (if that) at the distribution point (wiring closet.) You don't have to make any changes at the jacks (unless major changes are made.) You also have to consider resale of the house - you're not just wiring for yourself, you are wiring for any future owners of the home too.

Sorry for the confusion about my second set of questions. I'm not familiar with all of the terminology.

The transformer and pedestal are on one side of the house, my utility room is on the other. I guess the electrians won't move the breaker box into the utility room, but I would like to keep the distribution point in the utility room. I was just trying to figure out if I should go through or around the house.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to interface with the phone and cable co's:
What exactly will the installers take care of?
Do they need some kind of access box on the outside of the house?
or does the feed into my distribution point come directly from the pedestal?
Do I need to take care of the grounding, or will the installer handle that?
Also, If I use the above configuration (distribution on opposite side of grounding rod), will I have ground leakage issues?
Don't worry about it, you have to start somewhere. The electrical panel's location is not really important. Technically, it has nothing to do with your structured wiring (sometimes lighting control is added to the panels, but even then it really doesn't have much to do with low-voltage equipment.)

Definitely go through the house (sorry, forgot to mention that last time.) If you have access, you always want to keep the wires inside - for more than one reason: protection of the wires, appearance, it's usually shorter, accessibility, etc.

The Cable and Phone Co's should properly ground your equipment for you - in most cases, this is done at the street anyway. They will also install their demarcs on the side of the house somewhere (usually near the electric meter, but not always.) Be sure to run your wires out where you want the demarcs installed (and don't make it too hard on them - IE: over a concrete driveway.)

You may also want to check with an integration consultant on your project. You can get design work and consultations for around $300 or so these days. This wouldn't include any labor, other than the consultations, but could potentially save you hundreds in lost labor and materials. Check out Link Your House - they provide design work and consultations to the Atlanta and New York City areas, and design-only work nationwide.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: