Home phones seem like Off the hook for outside callers frequently.

Old 08-07-04, 01:07 PM
AVS
Visiting Guest
Angry Home phones seem like Off the hook for outside callers frequently.

Our house is 2 year old. After a heavy rain & thunderstorm a month ago our phones sound busy or off the hook for outside callers. After few tries some calls do get thru. What could be the problem? We have 5 phone jacks in the house and the junction box is outside the house. Please help!

Old 08-07-04, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
there is a defect in the cable somewhere and it is getting wet in the rain and shorting out

have you checked at the NID outside to see if the line is clear there ?

thats the first step and it will tell you wether the problem is yours or the telcos

if you unplug your house from the NID and callers still get a busy then its the Telcos responsiblity to fix

if you unplug your house from the nid and callers here ringing then its something on your end and will be your resposiblity unless you have wiring isnurance from the telco in which case they will fix it now charge

Old 08-07-04, 09:22 PM
S
If it's outside be persistant
Intermitant, weather-related shorts can be hard to find
You may have to call every time it rains for a while
Just keep calling

Old 08-08-04, 08:02 AM
AVS
Visiting Guest
Home Phones

Thanks! I appreciate the quick response from both. What is NID ? I opened the outside junction box and plugged in a phone directly to the incoming line and it works perfect. I could not check for more than 10/15 minutes as it was outside. It did ring when called on my cell phone.
The junction box shows all the wires going in to the house. Is there a splitter there? How do I check and what should I look for? Please advise.
Thanks1

Old 08-08-04, 08:27 AM
you where at the NID (Network Interface Device)

if it works there then your problem is internal

first check with the telco and see if you have wiring insurance with them ,lots of times this is sold at the time you get service and if you have it it means they will repair the problem no charge.

to troulbshoot yourself :

is there more than one cable connected to the screw terminals in the NID ?

if so remove them all then hook them up one at a time and see if you can find which cable is causing the problem,

if there is only one cable connected to the nid that means your jacks are hooked in a loop

go to the jack closest to the nid remove it then remove the cable that goes out to the other jacks

if it still works reconnect the cable go to the second jack and repeat

keep going untill you can Isolate the problem

Do you have any jacks under windows ?

I have seen windows that leaked into the wall allowing the insaltion to get wet and shorting out the jack after a rain .

this is the kind of problem that can take a bit of time to find

Old 08-08-04, 09:03 AM
AVS
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mango Man! I will check all the items you suggested. Our house is 2 year old and we are the first owners. Iwill check with Verizon who is my phone company as soon as they are open tomorrow. Will keep posting my efforts & results.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: