Phone issues - help!

Old 08-18-04, 06:34 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Phone issues - help!

OK, our home was built in 1952. The phone lines leave MUCH to be desired as the previous owner appeared to be crazy or something. I have traced about 10 lines all over the place. The line that went to the master bedroom up 2 flrs from basement went outside and along 2 walls of the exterior. I severed it when I tore down the deck and we went over it with vinyl siding. My issue is: I have bought and returned about 3 phone systems. I now have a 3 phone digital 2.4GHz Southwestern Bell that is expandable to 4. Therefore they all run off the same wall jack but are in chargers around the home. I paid about 110$ for this. No matter what I put there, I get bad reception, or a hum, or when a call comes in, I hear a wicked echo of my own voice. NOW, the line I traced to the outside junction box has 3 areas of those red tab press individual wire connectors holding together. Then that goes to a junction box in the middle of the basement, which then branches off across the basement and to the outlet. Is this "crosstalk" (echo) and hum coming from bad wiring or should I inquire with the phone company to fix this. I plan to redo all the phone wiring in the future but am tired of having crappy phone conversations. Was I better off with either a line phone or a 900MHz where this issue may not be so pronounced? Thanks: e3

Old 08-18-04, 06:53 PM
lots of issues at play here

why not disconnect everything run a temp line to one jack , new clean wire, new jack see if it clears up the problem then rewire from there .

go to wall mart pick up a 100' line cord plug it into the nid run it through the window plug in your cordless s

see what it does .

Old 08-19-04, 08:10 AM
R
Do as suggested, and also try plugging directly into the netword interface jack and see what happens.

In your future plans, make sure to purchase and have at least one old style wired telephone in place and available. In a power outage your cordless telephones are useless.

Old 08-19-04, 10:18 AM
try unplugging everything on the same electrical circuit as the cordless phone.

we had a similar sitation with the hum once and found it was the TV in another room on the same circuit the tv had the always on feature so that evan when it was off it was staying in a "sleep state" unplugged the tv the phone cleared up

plugged the phone into a diffrent circuit problem went away.

like I said earlier there are a lot of factors involved in this one

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: