How do I trace my cable TV ?

Old 09-27-04, 08:10 AM
kmcgillycuddy
Visiting Guest
How do I trace my cable TV ?

I moved into a house where the previous owner had both cable TV and satellite. I found the cable main under my staircase and I have identified the cables to the rest of the house. But the cable in the living room doesn't work, I believe because it's probably running to the satellite on the roof. I have a tone generator, is there anyway that I can trace this cable without opening up the wall?

This may sound like a craze idea, but are there any wireless devices that can be hooked up to a cable connection that would broadcast the cable signal to a wireless receiver in the house. Anything to help me avoid opening up the walls to run another cable.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Old 09-27-04, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you checked inside the cable wall outlet boxes? The 'old' cable line may be right there - open ended. Is there a spare cable line at the dist. point that you have not identified?
You don't have to open any walls to find, or run coax.

We use a sat. finder(puts out 18v) and check the other ends with a cheap voltmeter.

If all else fails - use the Dish, it's a better but anyway.
You can run extra lines from the dish to under the stairs for other rooms.

fred

Old 10-21-04, 12:02 AM
leightnight
Visiting Guest
Talking Im not a pro but

From what ive ever notest alot of cable lines run on the outside walls to there destonations if the inside box happens to be on an outside wall,and for inside walls jumped from one box to the other there usualy ran straight up the wall and through the attick then of course streight down to the other.Or if you have an open cealing basement they might run down across the basment ceiling and up to ther partnerd box.

Hope this may help:Leightnight

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: