Cat 5 wiring termination

Old 10-19-04, 09:13 AM
Tuzlo
Visiting Guest
Cat 5 wiring termination

I have a dilemma here. I have laid out the wiring in the walls of the basement in my house when I finished it. Right now they are unterminated. Now the problem I am running into and cannot find anything on the internet that has been able to answer my question. How do I terminate the wall mounts and plugs for the wires? I have a drawing done up of this but I have no where to post it and I cannot seem to find a way to attach an image to this document, so if someone wants to look at the image send post here and I can email it to you.

Old 10-19-04, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
not really sure what your asking

if you want the color scheme it is printed on the jacks or patch panel

if you are asking what to terminate to then you want a patch panel

they come in sizes from 6 ports upwords depending on your needs .

Old 10-20-04, 05:07 AM
Tuzlo
Visiting Guest
I guess what I am asking is do I wire all the cables to the cat 5 Standard or do some of them get wired straight thru? Taking into account that the wires will pass through many jacks/plugs (as many as 3 for one run)

Old 10-20-04, 05:42 AM
are you saying some cables will feed 2 or more jacks ?

if so you can't use these for ethernet each ethernet network cable must be a home run to the switch

you can however use them for phone in which case you would wire with 568a on a cat5 jack or usoc two pair on a rj11 cat3

Old 10-20-04, 06:06 PM
S
You say "terminated". A terminator is a load device (resistor) attached to the end of the cable run to prevent signal reflection back into the cable. Earlier networks required terminators at the ends of the wires if a network device was not attached. Cat-5 is not required to be terminated and there is no way to do. With Cat-5 you just put the end of the the wire into the jack and you can either plug something into it or leave it open.

Maybe you are asking how to properly put the wires into the jack. Untwist the wires so the last twist is only 1/16" or less is before the jack. Strip only as much insulation as necessary to get a good metal to metal contact after you punch it into the jack. This keeps signal loss to a minimum. The twist is there to prevent crosstalk between the individual wires in the Cat-5 cable.

Note that there can only be one network device attached to each port of your Hub/Switch/Router. You run a Cat-5 cable from each port for each network device. It is the Hub/Switch/Router that divides the signals for more than one device.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: