Brand new installation in a 2 family house.

Old 10-21-04, 06:55 PM
Grkgod011
Visiting Guest
Question Brand new installation in a 2 family house.

I have just renevated my house from a one family to a two family. I now need to run cable, data and phone to both apartments.

The electrician I hired has run all the lines (power, coax, and cat5) to the rooms and I now have a bunch of wires in the basement.

I want to install cable service with a cable modem, satellite and analog phone to the 1st floor and basement which is one apartment and setup the upstairs apartment to be ready to go for cable and analog phone.

In the basement there are 4 coax lines feeding the entire house and several data and phone lines (one per jack in the house).

My questions now are:

1. How do I share connections with the entire house for phone? I assume that the phone company will run a line to the basement and attach the wires for phone. Do they need to install a switch or something?

2. For cable what do they need to install to share cable with each apartment?

3. Same for satellite, what do they need to install? Satellite will only be on the first floor.

4. The house is wired for data. However, does that mean that the cable modem has to be installed in the basement? I was thinking of putting a gigabit switch in the basement and hooking all the wires to that. That way I can share internet with the whole house. The upstairs apartment is family so I dont care if they share connection.

I have never been in a house wired for all these connections. So any advice or answers would be most helpful.

Also, what the general cost of each procedure would be good.

Thanks.

Old 10-22-04, 07:03 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1. How do I share connections with the entire house for phone? I assume that the phone company will run a line to the basement and attach the wires for phone. Do they need to install a switch or something?
No. If they are connecting everything they'll probably run a line into the basement and place a punchdown block to connect everything.

2. For cable what do they need to install to share cable with each apartment?
Again since everything is in the basement a powered amplifier/splitter should be all that is required.

3. Same for satellite, what do they need to install? Satellite will only be on the first floor.
Not sure but I would image same as #2 dedicated to the satilite runs.

4. The house is wired for data. However, does that mean that the cable modem has to be installed in the basement? I was thinking of putting a gigabit switch in the basement and hooking all the wires to that. That way I can share internet with the whole house. The upstairs apartment is family so I dont care if they share connection.
Run all the data drops to the back of a patch panel. Run each port on the patch panel to a switch. Run the WAN or Uplink port on the switch to the DSL modem. All this can be done in the basement.

Old 10-22-04, 08:17 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For the satellite,

you'll need a least two cables to run to the dish itself and those cables have to run directly into the back of the satellite reciever. Unlike cable, a TV can't use a satellite signal directly, it must go through the box first.

I would run from the dish's location at least two cables, then run those to the basement and directly connect to the outgoing lines to the wall jacks at each reciever's location. Don't try to run a cable signal and a satellite signal on the same cable anywhere! (You can run an outdoor antenna on the same cable though with special "diplexers") It's also possible to split the satellite signal in the basement if you will have more than two recievers.

If you don't mind watching the same channel on all the tv's, you can take the _output_ of a satelllite box and send to to multiple tvs....as I said though, they'll all be watching the same channel.

Last but not least, if you plan on getting a sat reciever with two tuners inside it, you may need to plan for two cables at that location. (At least the older recievers needed two cables, one for each tuner)

Good Luck! Hopefully I haven't confused this too much!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: