One line always off-hook

Old 10-22-04, 06:36 AM
KAHruzer
Visiting Guest
Exclamation One line always off-hook

I'm having a great deal of difficulty with the two phone lines in my house.

Line 1 has begun 'being' offhook whenever my two-line phone is attached (just attached to the cord, not with hook-switch). As such, it times out and eventually goes dark. Unplugging the cord and replugging brings back the dial tone. But, it's always offhook, even when on-hook. And, it all starts over again.

I've gone through some significant diagnostics (with my purely mechanical skillset.) Here's what I have done/discovered.

1.) Line 1 always offhook when connected to two-line phone.
2.) Line 2 appears normal, but there is some cross-bleed of sound between lines at times, mostly, I can hear my modem working on the other line.
3.) Line 1 works fine when used with a single-line phone.
4.) Line 2 works fine when used with either single-line or 2-line phone.
5.) Disconnecting all devices (extension phones, cordless base and modems) except the one two-line cord to phone produces the same conditions.
6.) With only one two-line cord connected, same result.

...I thought, bad two-line phone. So, I got a brand spanking new Bell South two-line phone and plugged it in. Same problem.

Next, I went outside and unplugged the interior lines (both) from the box outside. Then, I plugged my two-line phone into the jack. Same problem. With that, it seems the problem was outside the house.

Here's another twist. The two lines' service are from two different vendors. Line 1 is SBC, Line 2 is another carrier. I believe SBC is required to maintain both physical lines, however, via State Corporation Commission rules.

So, I called SBC and reported the trouble. They 'tested' Lne 1 fom their location and determined all to be fine. They sent a repairman.

Repair arrives and after some quick checking determine Line 1 to be fine. So, I got my phone(s) and went outside to the box with him here and plugged it up to show him the problem. He pointed to the phones and said 'bad equipment'. I told him the Bell South phone was new right out of the box. He shrugged and left. Now, since he says the problem isn't outside, SBC puts an extra $35 charge on my bill.

Since then, I've checked all the interior connections (with a meter) and all appears fine. Besides, if the problem shows up in the outside box, it's ostensibly an outside problem. I cannot believe both my original two-line phone (which has worked fine for many years) and the brand new two-line phone both have the same problem.

Needless to say, I'm hesitant to call SBC again if they're going to charge me $35 each time. But, I do think the problem is theirs. I just don't know how to prove it, or a clue as to what the actual problem might be.

IAC, I'd appreciate any info or assistance which would help me get this resolved.

Old 10-22-04, 06:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Line 1 works fine when used with a single-line phone.
Line 2 works fine when used with either single-line or 2-line phone.

sbc is right it is a internal problem not theirs (unless you have wire insurance )

I would tend to go tword bad equipment also

take back your new phone and try another of a diffrent brand.

Old 10-22-04, 02:14 PM
KAHruzer
Visiting Guest
One line always off hook

I'm going to have to take your word and work that direction. There's nothing else for me to try at this point.

But, it does lead me to ask if anyone knows what it is internal to the phone which might cause this. And, how a brand new phone might tend to exhibit that same sort of problem?

There's 24v on the cord, right? So, power to something in the phone base is making it go offhook. And, only on line one. Doesn't really make much sense to me.

Old 10-22-04, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There's 24v on the cord, right? So, power to something in the phone base is making it go offhook. And, only on line one. Doesn't really make much sense to me.
not sure what you mean by 24v ?

line voltage is usually around 48-50vdc

if there is no problem with two single line devices plugged in then the problem is either in the equipment, the cabling or how it is being hooked up

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: