Cable Modem: How to test signal

Old 01-04-05, 09:21 AM
Jay6411
Visiting Guest
Cable Modem: How to test signal

Is there a way to test that a signal is coming through a CATV line to a cable modem? I realize that I could connect it to a TV; however, that is not always convenient. Some sort of hand-held device would be preferable. Does such a device exist?

Old 01-04-05, 05:40 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not sure what you mean. Does your cable modem show that it is active and connected? Are you having some sort of performance shortcoming with your connection speed or relibility?

Old 01-04-05, 06:29 PM
there are handheld signal testers that the cable company techs use

multi hundred to multi thousand dollar devices

probably not what your looking for , if you want to throw that kind of money towrd it post back and Ill dig up some links

if your modem wont synch up just take the modem to a cable connection that you know has tv signal and try it there (no need to connect it to a computer it will synch up without a lan connection )

if you are having speed isssues one thing to look at is the low tv channels reception
signal strength there is indicitive of broadband strength as a quick and dirty test .

like chris says post back with specfics and we can talk about it

Old 01-04-05, 06:46 PM
I ran a serch on ebay for CATV testers and came up with this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

I dont know the seller or anything about this particular item

if its the kind of thing your looking for you might want ot research it and bid

350 with 3 days left ...want to bet it hits 500 ?

Old 01-05-05, 05:51 AM
C
Assuming you are asking this question because you are not getting an internet connection through the cable modem (otherwise, disregard), allow me to ask a question:

Has the modem been provisioned through the cable co? Until it goes through the provisioning process, it won't work, even if the COAX is properly connected to the cable co.'s signal. You should just have to call them and give them the MAC address off the cable modem...[At least this is the way things work with Charter cable in Tennessee.]

My $0.03 (inflation)

Old 01-05-05, 06:30 AM
Jay6411
Visiting Guest
Currently, I only have the modem connected to the cable system. When the modem is unable to connect, the cable-indicator light goes out. In the past (i.e., before DirectTV) there were times when I still had CATV service when the cable light was out on the modem. This was an indication that the server was down but that the TV service was operating; therefore, I could rule out a break in the line. (Which seems to occur about 2 to 3 times a year due to roadwork, utility work, and etc.) Now when the modem is unable to connect, I have no idea as to the source of the problem. I currently have the cable line running only to the room where the modem is located and not anywhere near my TV. Given the prices you all have indicated that I would have to pay for a handheld device, it looks like my best bet is to purchase 50' of coax and just run it down the hall to my TV when I want to perform the signal test.

Old 01-10-05, 09:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
my modem has a power light that stays on when my cable service goes away.. unless my power goes too... you say your light goes out?.. maybe you should check into a power supply for you modem?.. or check the outlet?..

Old 01-10-05, 10:20 AM
Jay6411
Visiting Guest
My modem has five LED indicators for power, cable, pc, inbound, and outbound. I have the modem and the router connected to a UPS; however, the power to my house hasn't been out -- as far as I know -- for over eight years now. So power definitely isn't an issue.

The issue is that the cable LED goes out when the CATV and Internet services are both out as well as when the Internet service is out and the CATV remains working. Since I use satellite for TV now, I don't have a quick way to tell which is the case. For now I've decided to hang on to an old portable TV to test the signal. It's a little less convenient than a handheld device, but much more cost effective.

Ultimately, I want to be able to differentiate between the two possibilities so I can call the correct tech support number. When there is a complete system failure due to a line break or etc, it is faster to call the TV line because the call does not have to sit in the much larger Internet tech support queue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: