Leviton 'middle of run' phone jack

Old 02-11-05, 12:38 PM
Jooced
Visiting Guest
Leviton 'middle of run' phone jack

Hi all,

I recently picked up the modular Leviton phone jacks to go along with the data and video jacks. I am unable to run a new line for the phone from the NID so I was wondering if there's a common method to wiring these modular jacks in the middle of the run. I have two jacks right next to each other as we're finishing the basement. I have one run, need the two jacks.

I'm a network engineer so I'm EXTREMELY familiar with color codes and punching down wires, but obviously phone vs. Cat5 is a big difference.

Has anyone done this before? I have been unable to search for any info. Thanks

Old 02-11-05, 01:43 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What type of cable are we talking about here? Cat5 (or 3), or the old four wire phone cable?

Do you punch the cable down in these jacks? If not, how do they connect?

Old 02-11-05, 01:44 PM
Jooced
Visiting Guest
Cat 3 actually, sorry for forgetting that info! And yes, the Leviton modular jacks are color coded punch downs. If I was only going to one jack it would be easy of course. Putting two on the same run complicates things.

Old 02-11-05, 02:33 PM
C
I suppose if you were really careful cutting the outer insulation off of about 2" of the CAT3 at the spot you need that middle of the run jack, and you were to swap the 110 blade of your punchdown tool to the non-cutting side, you could punch the wires down to the jack in the middle of that 2" area and let the wires pass right on through, much like terminating a phone extension to two different jacks on a 110 block.

How's that?

Old 02-11-05, 02:36 PM
Jooced
Visiting Guest
It's a great idea and thanks for the input. It had crossed my mind but I wasn't sure if there was a standard way. The modular setups are getting more and more popular, I figured someone would have ran across this in a 'professional' situation by now. I'll give that a shot though and post back with the results.

Old 02-11-05, 03:37 PM
C
I actually envisioned in my mind those blue things you clip over an existing wire to tap into it without cutting it (they use these in automotive wiring, like adding a connector for trailer wiring). I kinda thought those wouldn't work well on CAT3 though. LOL

Be sure to leave yourself plenty of slack in case you ever want to do anything different. You could also use this technique if you wanted to feed a double phone jack. Just strip the outer insulation further back, terminate to the first jack with the non-cut punch blade, then swap to the cutting blade for the second jack.

All my wiring is CAT5...I ran two CAT5's to each jack...all RJ45's, no RJ11/12's. I terminated them all to a punch panel...no distinction between voice and data.

Then I took my CAT5 that runs to my NID, and punched the blue/white blue down four times (using the no-cut blade, of course) to a single jack, once for each wire pair. I then made a "spider cable"--RJ45 on one end terminated as normal, then each twisted pair had its own RJ11 end crimped on. With the RJ45 end plugged into this jack, each "leg" of the spider cable is now a phone feed, and can be plugged into whatever port of the patch panel that I need to supply dial tone.

Gotta go...wife is calling.

Old 02-12-05, 05:05 AM
evan though you are using cat 5 cable its a POTS application so the cat cabling techniquies can be set aside

I would use scothcloks like this and splice a short jumper to go to the phone jack .

Old 03-02-05, 12:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
are the two jacks you need in the same outlet box?. if so, get a dual jack to replace the single.. if not, get some amp connectors (we call them ice cubes, they are silicon filled splice connectors).. you can get them for 3 wire in order to connect the feed to the two out i/w's...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: