new Phone Jack

Old 02-25-05, 11:06 PM
TennesseeFox
Visiting Guest
new Phone Jack

Ive searched thru most of the posts, but I havent found one that specifically answers this question.
I have phone jacks in all the rooms, except the one I need (as it always is).
There are jacks on the other side of the walls in other rooms, but not on the wall I need it to be on.
I will only use this for dsl (which I already have and am using now)
What is the easiest way to put a jack on this wall???
Can I splice into one of the wires in the attic that go to one of the other jacks and run it to this jack? Whats the proper way to do this?

thank you

Tenn

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-05, 07:45 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A typical residential phone setup does not require home run phone wiring. While many suggest to home run the wires, it is not necessary. In existing homes, wiring may be home run or it may be daisy chained from one phone jack to the next, or there may be a combination of both setups.

For best DSL reception, you should run a new line from where you want the new jack all the way to where the phone lines connect to telephone company lines.

However, you can connect into the existing wiring. This is best done at an existing jack. Just connect your new wire to the screws where the existing wire terminates. If the existing jack is located on an interior wall, and you want the jack in the same stud cavity this is probably the easiest solution.

You can connect to the wiring in the attic, but this may not be easy. If there is not enough slack in the line you will end up cutting the line twice, and installing a longer piece of wire between them. You can buy a wiring block to do this (preferred), or you can just connect the wires and wrap with electrical tape (not preferred).

Old 02-26-05, 04:53 PM
TennesseeFox
Visiting Guest
thanks

I was told at home depot that daisy chaining was the only way, but I found a box, where the line came in and had screws to secure them. I figured that this was one way to do it all in the attic so I wouldnt have to run wire up from one jack and down to another. Im thinking just splice the wire and connect the 3 ends into this box.

Will this be better than daisy chaining???

Thanks

Tenn

Old 02-26-05, 06:13 PM
R
Don't believe everything you hear at the chain stores. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong.

Connecting in the attic is no different than connecting at the other jack, electrically speaking. However, you will only be able to do this in the attic (without two boxes) if there is enough slack in the line. Personally I would stay away from the attic and tap the jack in the other room.

Old 02-26-05, 06:19 PM
TennesseeFox
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Ok, Then I will do it that way..

Thank you

Tenn

Old 03-02-05, 12:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
make a home run to the telco interface if possible... if not, go to the nearest jack in the wall. Drop the i/w down the wall and connect on the back of the jack.. DON'T use any of the old G/R/Bk/Y i/w... if you can't get to the jack and you have to connect in the attic by splicing, don't do the twist and tape, answer this however you can to let me know and I'll send you some telephone company amp connectors.. they are silicon filled ice cubes that you put the connecting wires in and mash together to make the connection.. about as good a splice as you'll get!.. I think you can private message me on this forum..

Old 03-02-05, 04:29 PM
TennesseeFox
Visiting Guest
thank you i will try that