Convert multi-tenant to single-tenant phone

Old 03-05-05, 04:46 PM
kalocsa
Visiting Guest
Convert multi-tenant to single-tenant phone

We just bought a house and had the phone company activate the phone. Only one jack of about 20 was working. Investigation revealed that there are 2 NID boxes. One has CAT5 and three test jacks. None of those work. The other has JK and two test jacks. One of those works and leads to one jack in a back room of an upper floor. Looks like the phone company activated the least convenient one. I guess there are so many because there used to be multiple tenants in the house, each with a separate phone line. Using a splitter from the working test jack, I found that two of the test jacks in the other box lead to the rest of the house.

1) It would be more convenient if our working test jack was in the CAT5 box. Is there a way to tell the phone company to feed our service into a different test jack without requiring a service call and them trying to trick us into wiring we don't need?

2) Can we just put a splitter in the box and connect all the lines to the working jack? Or can we add more screw terminals to the working jack?

3) We would like to get DSL. I suppose they might have to switch us to the CAT5 box in order to provide us (if we get it from them, Verizon).

The boxes are outside and the phone lines run up the outside walls. It's an old brick house with no easy way to do interior wiring.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-05, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connect everything to the network interface jack that has your incoming line on it.