Twisted Pair vs. Non Twisted Pair

Old 04-11-05, 06:34 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Twisted Pair vs. Non Twisted Pair

This question concerns Twisted Pair vs. Non-Twisted pair.

I know that twisted pair wire are used to make the connection more resilent to interferance and noise and that the tighter the twist, the higher the bandwith that can be transmited (Cat5 is a tigher twist than Cat 3, Cat 6 tighter than Cat 5, etc.)

I also know that you cannot generally substitue a non-twisted pair wire in a situation that call for a twisted pair.

Now, here is my question- are there any situations or reasons where you could not, or should not, use a twisted pair in place of a non a non-twisted pair wire other than the cost differential.

Thanks,
David

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-05, 12:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In short... no.

Old 05-02-05, 08:03 PM
Doglips
Visiting Guest
Twisting wires helps reduce the effect of stray capacitance, noise and signal loss.
Twisted pair has nothing to do with stopping interference. If your concerned about interference you needed to use shielded twisted pair.

A stronger signal is less susceptible to the effects of interference, but thats it.

Generally speaking if your running low voltage over distance (such as data), you'll need to use twisted pair.

Do what is reccommended for your application.

DON'T skimp on wiring, the cost of installation out weighs the cost of the upgraded wiring.

Do it right the first time, cause the second time is a pain in the wallet as well as other regions.

If you want to skimp on anything, skimp on the hardware that attaches to wiring (as long as you can get to it).