Need assistance with running cables

Old 05-12-05, 05:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need assistance with running cables

I am going to be rewiring my phone lines and also add cat5e to each jack as well. I have a spool of 1000' of cat5e cable and figure I'll just use that for both phone and data. I'm going up through the basement and fish through the walls.

What is the best method to pull up multiple runs since I only have a single spool and seems it would be easiest to pull the multiple wire runs to each location at the same time?

Old 05-12-05, 05:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You could try and guesstimate how long each run would be and cut them. Tryu to leave extra so as not to waste a cable that ends up too short.

I normally set up 2 boxes side by side and pull both together, but I use 2 different color cables to make it easy to identify which is voice or data. You could use a tape band on one of your runs to identify its function. You may want to label each run so you know where it goes when it comes time to terminate your cables.

Old 05-12-05, 05:47 PM
S
Originally Posted by pcboss
You could try and guesstimate how long each run would be and cut them. Tryu to leave extra so as not to waste a cable that ends up too short.
Yeah, I think since I only have 1 spool its all I can do, just dont want to end up wasting too much or risking not having enough.

Originally Posted by pcboss
I normally set up 2 boxes side by side and pull both together, but I use 2 different color cables to make it easy to identify which is voice or data. You could use a tape band on one of your runs to identify its function. You may want to label each run so you know where it goes when it comes time to terminate your cables.
I suppose I could always purchase another box of another color and make things much easier but since I already have 1000' what I have now should be enough and then some. I do however plan on taping labels to make identifying the cables easy.

Old 05-12-05, 07:01 PM
S
Another question is what is the best way to route the cables once in the basement? I'd rather not have to just attach them to the bottom of the floor joists as I believe they would be susceptible to damage. Would it be ok to drill holes through the joists to route them? Or another option I see is run them down the steel I beam in the basement to the end of the house where I plan on terminating them but if I do that I'd like a solution to attach them to the beam if I did that.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-13-05, 05:14 AM
touse one box you coudl

one do your best guestimate ahtn add 50' to it and pre cut the cables for the run , if thy wind up to short use them for a closer drop

two , pull a string along with the first cable and then use it for the second run

in the basement why not use conduit ? strap it to the floor joists

Old 05-13-05, 05:03 PM
S
Originally Posted by mango man
in the basement why not use conduit ? strap it to the floor joists
One of the ideas I had was to use conduit in the basement. Only reason I'm looking for alternatives is because the conduit would hang down under the floor joists and it would be running through the middle of the basement. I'm attempting to keep the data and phone lines away from the basement walls because on one side of the basement wall most of the eletrical wiring was routed and on the other side of the basement I have a workshop that has quite a few hanging flourescent shoplights and want to avoid any potential interference.

I do like the idea of conduit as it seems it would protect the wires a bit more. If I could find a way to attach the conuit to the steel I beam that runs the length of the house it would be perfect as the conduit would be out of the way.

If I go the conduit route for routing the wires in the basement, I assume flexible conduit would be the easiest to work with?

Old 05-13-05, 08:10 PM
I would use gray rigid pvc

look for beam clamps to attach to the I beam

Old 05-16-05, 07:30 AM
C
Find a decent size empty spool and roll up half of your 1000' box onto it. That'll take a while to do, but then you don't waste lots of cable having to guestimate.

Know anyone else wanting to run cable? If you'll use less than 1000' total, you could get them to buy the second box then give them both rolls when done. Then they have two boxes to use.

Old 05-16-05, 07:34 PM
S
Originally Posted by chirkware
Find a decent size empty spool and roll up half of your 1000' box onto it. That'll take a while to do, but then you don't waste lots of cable having to guestimate.

Know anyone else wanting to run cable? If you'll use less than 1000' total, you could get them to buy the second box then give them both rolls when done. Then they have two boxes to use.
I actually ended up buying another 1000' spool so I'm sure I'll have plenty leftover but it makes it much faster running 2 cables at a time. If I had thought of the utilization of an empty spool it probably would have saved me the extra purchase but I'm sure I'll find someone I know looking a deal on some leftover bulk ethernet cable

My basement currently looks like an "ethernet jungle" with all the drops. I havent yet put in the coax so I'm waiting on running the wires into conduit until that is done.

Old 06-06-05, 07:05 PM
S
Just wanted to give an update on my wiring project. I've gotten most of my wiring routed through conduit to a central location. The project has taken much longer than expected but I want it done right the first time so I'm taking my time.

My next step is to bundle the cables for their intended purpose so they can be terminated.

Old 07-05-05, 06:22 PM
KaosX
Visiting Guest
when bundling the network cables, if you can get it, use velcro to organize them. It's neater, easier to reorganize and won't choke the cables over time like zip ties will.

If you have room above where youll be terminating the cables, its usually a good idea to leave a 2-3 foot service loop incase you ever need more cable or if the termination fails and you need more wire to term back to.

Old 07-06-05, 07:43 AM
S
Originally Posted by KaosX
when bundling the network cables, if you can get it, use velcro to organize them. It's neater, easier to reorganize and won't choke the cables over time like zip ties will.

If you have room above where youll be terminating the cables, its usually a good idea to leave a 2-3 foot service loop incase you ever need more cable or if the termination fails and you need more wire to term back to.
I did end up using velcro for bundling, wanted to stay away from zip ties. I've finally got around to taking some pictures. I still need to clean up a bit of the wiring as its hanging behind the plywood. I also have most of the coax run but have not yet terminated it yet. Anyway, here are some pics of the ongoing project:

http://www.seezar.com/pictures/wiring/wiring1.jpg

http://www.seezar.com/pictures/wiring/wiring2.jpg

http://www.seezar.com/pictures/wiring/wiring3.jpg

http://www.seezar.com/pictures/wiring/wiring4.jpg

http://www.seezar.com/pictures/wiring/wiring5.jpg

http://www.seezar.com/pictures/wiring/wiring6.jpg

http://www.seezar.com/pictures/wiring/wiring7.jpg

http://www.seezar.com/pictures/wiring/wiring8.jpg

Last edited by seezar; 07-06-05 at 09:26 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: