Single Broke female seeks dial tone

Old 05-16-05, 06:43 PM
ninemound
Visiting Guest
Single Broke female seeks dial tone

I am a novice so bare with me. friday lightning struck within 50 yards of my home and knocked out electricity and phone line. (Vorizon ....!**sh**bas**!!). Electric company got power back on and vorizon checked the box on the outside of my home --- and there was no dial tone...thusly, there fault right? Not!! They replaced a bunch of wires, cables etc., and came back to my box and now there was a dial tone. Now it is my problem and have to pay $110 per 1/2 hr to fix. I mentioned that I thought it should be their responsiblity since it was apparent that whatever knocked there system out could have traveled through system into my wires. He looked offended, roled his eyes like I was a bimbo and explained slowly that "under no circumstances, ever, in no way shape or form, does any electricity, power or surge ever go from their phone line into my home which would cause a short...etc.". I then asked how i received phone service if nothing traveled from their line into my home. He through his tooks into the truck, dropped his notes and said, "i'm done and so are you" and stomped off and left...nothing got fixed. I haved checked each phone plug in house and their is no dial tone, but their is a dial tone at outside box. I also have one of those long rectangular boxes inside the garage from the outside box, before entering my home and my phone jack. I have no idea where to start!!! Every outlet has no dial tone and the first phone from outside wire into house is "DEAD", i.e. it is cordless and whatever power surge burned it out completely. MY other phones have tested fine on the outside line. HELP!!!
DESPERATE FOR OUTSIDE COMMUNICATION... I am currenlty running about 500 yards of phone line from outside phone jack on side of house.

thanksa!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-05, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
disocnnect all the jacks , one could be fried and thus shorting the line .

start with the firist one from the ouside and hook it up

have dialtone ? if yes go to the second if no then swap pairs on the cable coming in .

continue untill all jacks work and/or you find the bad jack or bad cable segment

Old 05-16-05, 07:40 PM
ninemound
Visiting Guest
dear mango man:
I know I'm going to sound like a complete idiot but I didn't understand one word you said... over my head. Do you mean by disconnecting each jack, that I simply unplug all phones from the jacks and plug in one by one? If so, I already did that and none of them have a dial tone...(i plugged them in one by one). I don't understand "if no then swap pairs on the cable coming in. continue untill all jacks work and/or you find the bad jack or bad cable segment". I don't know what you mean by "swap pairs"..what pairs? and when you refer to cable do you mean the telephone line? Sorry, my vocabulary in this area is at 1st grade level. IF you don't reply ... i just wanted to thank you for your reply.

Old 05-16-05, 08:02 PM
R
You need to disconnect the wiring at the jacks and/or at the network interface where they plug in. You must remove all the jacks and then add them one at a time.

If this doesn't make sense then I suggest you spend the money to have someone do it.

Old 05-16-05, 09:02 PM
you need two wires (a pair) to make a phone line work MOST cable used has at least two usually three or four pair .

so by using a spare pair i am suggesting you bring dialtone in on a pair other that used initially.

I would first remove all the jacks from the cable as a bad jack is probably the culprit . look into the jack (where you would plug a cord in ) and you may find one or more with dark carbon burn spots.

like bob said you may want to hire someone this is the type of thing that can take a "pro " with equipment a hour or more ot sort out .

if you want to try yourself keep posting questions

Old 05-17-05, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
NineMound.. check your private messages..

Old 09-26-05, 07:01 PM
TazNTig
Visiting Guest
Continue logic on old house...

Originally Posted by mango man
you need two wires (a pair) to make a phone line work MOST cable used has at least two usually three or four pair .

so by using a spare pair i am suggesting you bring dialtone in on a pair other that used initially.

I would first remove all the jacks from the cable as a bad jack is probably the culprit . look into the jack (where you would plug a cord in ) and you may find one or more with dark carbon burn spots.

like bob said you may want to hire someone this is the type of thing that can take a "pro " with equipment a hour or more ot sort out .

if you want to try yourself keep posting questions
Ok, so I'll pick up where she left off on the question front...

Quick background: We took over a 20 year old house from a very well meaning 'do it yourselfer' who unfortunately has a different way of doing things in many cases. He has installed a jack in almost every room in the house (3 bedrooms, kitchen and one that I've found, maybe more, in the basement.)

Well timed with the passing of the remnants of Hurricane Rita, our phones suddenly went dead. No snap, crackle or pop prior, just straight from the decent to dead, literally overnight. NID has dial tone.

I'm concerned I have some old crappy wires which finally gave up the ghost and I'm trying to understand the system as well as the professional's advice on how to track the challenge efficiently.

So some questions...

1) "Disconnect all jacks and reconnect first one from outside... "

When I "disconnect the jack", are you saying disconnect the red, yellow, green and black wires and then reconnecting them to the jack? Or just the phone from the jack?

If #1: (red, yellow..blah) then I'm confused a bit here... I thought that residential phones operated on a 'ring' type network.. sorta like old christmas lights.. .one work, they all work.. one dies, spend the night cussing.

If #2: (phone from jack) Been there, done that.. t-shirt still smells (without any carbon spots that I can see in the jacks, themselves). What next?

Can someone point me to a decent "Dumba** 101" course on residential phone systems? I can finally take my DVD player apart and get it back together with less than 4 pieces left over, so I'm confident with some ground rules on how these things work, I can get the patient back on life support.

Any advice would be well appreciated...
TnT

Old 09-27-05, 04:51 AM
do a google search for residential wiring , home phone wiring , phone wiring ect .
lots of tuturils out there with varing degrees of competency.
l

1. take all the wire off the jack , you only need one pair red /green or blue white/white blue (depending on cable) for dialtone .

your jacks are probably daisy chained so a continuity meter would be helpfull , a simple battry and light bulb will do . find the first termination from the nid with the meter now hook up the cable to the nid and to the jack , if you have continuity hook the cable back up at the nid and put a jack back on

dialtone ?

yes , then continue to the next jaqck repeating the continuity process.

no , then you have a bad section of cable, try to find a good pair in the cable or replace it .

continue doing this untill you find the bad jack or cable section.

what often happens is a small break in the insllation will work untill wind driven rain gets to it and shorts it out.

Old 09-27-05, 06:59 AM
GhostD
Visiting Guest
Just wanted to explain the reasoning behind what your phone company has propositioned you. The 'box' outside is a demarc, or a demilitarized zone. It the point in which the phone company's property ends and the property owner's property begins. Unless you have a pre-existing maintenance contract with them, they are not going to touch it without a) yur approval, and b) your willingness to pay their fees.

Depending on what this phone box looks like (i.e. if its modern), there could be an easily noted phone-compnay side and homeowner-property-side of the same box. BTW, 500 yards? Where is the phone box? It suppose to tied to the premise (building) you are in. Is this a single-family dwelling?

Also keep in mind that common phone line wiring in a home is along the lines of 24-26 AWG, and this is by no means designed to withstand a lightning strike, or electrical surge from a lightning strike. I've had answering machines and dial-up modems die from lightning that picked on my neighbor across the street.

BTW, you might want to seek actions against your phone company. If they cannot provide you with life-line connectivity (i.e. 911) then its a big liability. Contact you state's PUC/PSC (public utility/service commission) for guidence on this matter.

BTW, I work for the phone company, just not your phone company.

Old 10-10-05, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wow, that tech sounds pretty unethical. He should of never left without either fixing the problem or at least leaving you with an understanding of what needed to be done. I would contact a superior at the telephone company and file a complaint.

Some simple troubleshooting options:

Before removing wires, etc. Unplug ALL phones, computers, answering machines, etc from all phone jacks. Computer modems and FAX machines taking a hit will commonly short a line. With everything unplugged take a regular phone that you know works and go around testing the jacks.. If it works, then something you unplugged got smoked.

If that fails, one by one remove your jacks from the wall (usually two flathead screws or a snap on cover) and visually inspect for burn marks or charred wiring.

If you find a burnt up jack, unscrew the wires going to it (make sure they don't touch) and go back to testing the other jacks..

As for the rectangular box in the garage, could you explain this in a little more detail?

Good luck