Running cables past an electrical box

Old 05-14-05, 08:01 PM
t3031999
Visiting Guest
Running cables past an electrical box

I am running a large bundle of data cables and they feed through a wall on the other side of a power panel than my wiring closet. Do I have to route the cables all the way around or can I just run them through conduit?

If conduit, what kind?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-15-05, 06:30 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I do not fully follow your question, but I will say this. Keep your data cables as far away from your electrical panel as possible.

Old 05-15-05, 09:25 AM
C.Lyons
Visiting Guest
Most data cables are not shilded. Unless you sring for shiled cat5 or cat6 but then you run into another problem if the shield is not properly grounded at both end the shield will act as an antenna and introduce noise in the the system. I would say if you could choose anothe location for your wrinig closet. If not possible do as racraft said and keep them far away from the power panel . Use the extra cable route the cable around.

Old 05-16-05, 05:46 AM
B
And if you have no choice but to cross the AC wiring, try and do it only at 90 degree angles, that will minimize the induced noise. But the best solution is distance, keep them as far apart as possible.

Old 05-31-05, 12:38 AM
philipherpantez
Visiting Guest
I have a simular problem. On the path I have to take there are a few electrical lines in the way.

Will conduit work to shield them from the electrical and does the conduit need to be grounded?

Old 05-31-05, 05:02 AM
R
While it is true that conduit will provide some shielding, do not rely on this. Route the cables elsewhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: