Cable and Cat-5

Old 05-23-05, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cable and Cat-5

I am about to start building my house and want to install the RG58 and Cat-5 wiring myself. Can anyone direct me to the right place for "how to's" and for the items I will need such as a terminal box, etc..

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-05, 05:36 AM
If you are talking about wiring for cable TV and/or satellite then you mean RG6, not RG58.

Google those terms and you will find hundreds of web pages for suppliers, and buried in the listings are pages for the information you seek.

Old 05-24-05, 08:01 AM
As Bob said...you want RG6...

One thing to consider is a product called "Banana Peal"...It's two RG6 + two Cat5e (and optionally two fiber) all in one cable. It is more expensive than the individual cables, but would be MUCH easier to run. I went cheap and did NOT use it on my dad's house I recently wired...boy was THAT a mistake! It was a real pain pulling the individual cables rather than one of these.

I run two RG6's and two Cat5's into each room...sometimes two sets. One RG6 goes into the cable splitter. The other is for alternate cable feeds (for instance, I have a Tivo in my entertainment center...the second RG6 takes its COAX output back to my dist. center so I can feed it to other TV's. The two Cat5's can be used for networking or phones, and their useage can be changed in seconds at the dist. center. At the wall jack, both Cat5's terminate to RJ45 jacks, which can accept an RJ45 plug (used for networking) as well as an RJ11 plug (used by phones). This setup gives me LOTS of flexibility.

I'm personally not crazy about the box store distribution centers (I build my own), but the store bought ones would probably be easier for most people (not everyone has access to a sheet metal shop ). You will want your incoming phone line & cable/satellite feeds to go directly into your dist. center. Your Cable/DSL modem, broadband router, network switch, cable splitter, patch panel, etc. will all be located in one place. Remember to have power ran there! You might want a small UPS there as well to keep things powered during a power outage...essential if you use a service such as Vonage to provide Voip so your phones work when the power is out.

You might check out broadbandutopia.com for more ideas. Oh, and if there is a Big Lots in the area, drop by and pick up one or two of their 5-way phone splitters while they still have them for a couple of bucks... They will be useful.

Old 05-24-05, 08:41 PM
Brakeman, I was in the same situation about a year and a half ago. Been in my house now a full year. At that time I had a long thread with the same questions and answers. Try looking or performing a search under my name and you will see it. Lots of info in it.

As an afterthought there are a few things I would do a little differently. First I would have taken more pictures with my digital camera just prior to closing in the walls with insulation. I took probably 50 pictures, should have doubled that. They really come in handy now. I do not regret not pulling 2 RG6's, I guess I am a little strange for only having 3 TV's & only 2 cable boxes in my house. But I do have 5 computers. I regret not running to an extra 2 -3 locations in the house now. Go ahead put a box on every wall that could possilby have a computer, phone or TV by it. In the big picture its easy & cheap to add a few locations now, vs after the house is done.

I pulled individual spools of cable and did not have a problem, 2 cat6's 1 RG6. Saved a lot of money by buying short run spools, especially vs the single "Banana Peel" cable. Just get some scrap lumber from the building site, build a little cart on some kind of set of wheels, that you can run a coulple of brooksticks through to hold the cable spools. Grab the ends, tape them together & start pulling. Be sure to label each end very well, my little sticker labels came off & it was no fun sorting them out in the final connection phase. I also made my own distribution center in my basement. I really was not that difficult. the wires are a little messy, but its all on a basement wall.

Good luck, let us know how you progress. Ask more questions if needed.

Mike

Old 05-25-05, 08:21 AM
Like mike said you'll save a lot of money by going with seperates... I calculated it and you'll basically get 2x the amount of cable for the same price.

Old 05-25-05, 09:24 AM
Separate cables vs banana peal (or the many clones) is a personal choice. You'll save money with separate cables, but you'll save time and headaches with bundled cables. Remember banana peal is a brand-name...there are cheaper brands out there.

In the install I was referring to, I was wiring a 4000 sqft home with many 50-100ft runs, some into the basement and back up, some into the attic and back down, some into bonus rooms @ the attic level.. I pulled [email protected] & [email protected] at the same time (each spool a different color). Each cable wanted to twist its own way, so it was a constant battle to get the four cables to "flow" smoothly as I pulled them. I ended up wrapping elect. tape around the bundle every 6ft or so to keep them together...cable management is more difficult. The job also looks MUCH less tidy than it would've with bundled cables. Finally, there are four times the number of individual cables to identify at the dist. center (not a big deal if you tape ends together at the conclusion of each pull as I did, but if you forget, it's 4x the work to identify).

As I said before, looking back, I wish I had chosen the banana peal type bundled cables...On a small job, nah...save the $$.

Oh...and when you are crawling through a low area of an attic, and there's lots of roofing nails sticking through the OSB/plywood, don't back into them! OUCH!

Old 05-31-05, 10:04 AM
check with your local cable company - they may actually GIVE you the coax to do your entire house. Say what? Shortly after we moved into our house I had Comcast out to connect the cable and I mentioned the remodeling I had just started to the tech - how I was running data and video to all rooms, etc. I was really trying to pick his brains on a couple of issues when he told me Comcast would rather give me the cable to ensure a solid network than have to risk dealing with a poor quality wiring job. The only reason he didn't give me a spool right there was he was out. I called the office the next day and a few days later found a full spool (1000') of quad-shield RG6 on my doorstep. Sure enough - it was FREE!

and btw - if you do have to buy it, make sure it's quad-shielded RG6.