Portable Phones

Old 05-24-05, 09:32 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Portable Phones

l am going to purchase a new portable phone, the one l have now is a Sanyo 900Mhz, about 9 yrs old. lt seems since l have had a computer and put filters on my phone line the reception is so bad. Don't know if its the phone or phone line. Have asked around and boy have l been told some stories why the reception is so bad, even what type of insulation is in the walls, go figure. Anyone have any tips on what phone to buy. thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-05, 04:44 AM
R
Why did you put filters on your phone line?

Old 05-26-05, 08:19 PM
M
Portable Phones

Our Internet Service is through our telephone company, when they sent the modem, filters etc, they suggest that you put a filter on any of your phone connections, have no idea why. Must admit l haven't tried using the phone without the filter, l will give it a go. Can you tell me why we have to use filters anyways. Thanks

Old 05-26-05, 09:08 PM
you need the filter or you will down the dsl .

Old 05-31-05, 09:39 AM
DSL has to be filtered.

do you get the same problem on a corded phone? is it the same no matter which jack you connect (corded phone) to? If the corded phone has same noise you need to call the phone company. if it works fine then something is interferring with the cordless. could be the phone itself or something in that freq range.

if you buy a new phone avoid the 900 and go for 2.4 or 5.4 gig units. I've heard of some interference in the 2.4 models with certain wireless systems but our Uniden has worked great for a year (replaced 900 phones). Many of these systems let you add remoted stations without wires and can function as walkie-talkies around the house (great for DIY helper comm). I think my Uniden was about 60 bucks at Costco and that included 2 handsets, 2 chargers, and a headset. My wife loves it an that's all that matters.

Old 06-02-05, 09:15 PM
M
Thumbs up Portable Phones

Thanks Sandbagger for the info. We don't seem to get the bad reception on the corded phone, maybe you are right, its time to change the cordless. My husband has done some research and Uniden was at the top of his list. Thanks again!

Old 06-04-05, 10:13 AM
Do you have a wireless router/hub in the house? Maybe it was installed with the new DSL setup ? This could be causing the interference. Also could be coming from a neighbors wireless system. If you have a wireless router, but are not using the wireless function, some of them allow you to disable it.

When you replace the phone, keep this in mind. Wireless routers using

802.11g and 802.11b standards work on the 2.4GHz band. 802.11a routers use - 5GHz band. You'll want a cordless phone in the other band than the router is on for your best chance of avoiding interference. They usually have this information printed right on device. BTW: The 802.11g(2.4GHz) is the most common router being sold right now.

Old 06-08-05, 08:16 PM
M
Wink Cordless Phones

Thanks for your input gtm20, we don't have a wireless router in the house. l personally think its the phone, my husband has his doubts. Anyways, l've ordered one of the big babies [5.8 Ghz], just hope that solves the problem.