new line from NID not working

Old 06-08-05, 09:22 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new line from NID not working

we just had an addition done to our house. The inside is all wired up (phone-wise) and outside is a single exposed CAT-3 cable protruding from the wall of the addition.
I want phone service in both the front house and the addition so I bought some CAT-3 cable from the hardware store, connected the red and green wires from the newly bought cable to the red and green ports on the NID (which already have the red and green wires from the cable leading to the front house connected to it) and the red and green wires on the opposite end to the red and green wires on the cable sticking out of the addition.
I still get a dial tone in the front house (as always) but nothing in the addition.

So now this is either the newly bought cable is bad or the cable/wiring in the addition is bad. Is there a tool which helps me determine where the disconnect is?

any other ideas?

tks,

-MC

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-05, 10:57 AM
have you taken the jacks off the wall and looked to see that they are actually connected ?

if so hook your cable to the wires that are hookde to red/green on the jack

if the cable is cat 3 the wires you want are the blue white pair , (one will be blue with a white stripe the other white with a blue stripe ) cat3 cable dosnt have a red and green I have seen folks mistake the green white/ orange white and use them

Old 06-08-05, 11:28 AM
M
great ideas

I'll first look at the wires in the back of the jacks,

the wire is white and says "CAT 3" on the sheathing. Inside are 4 wires colored: Reg, Green, Black, Yellow, same colors as the screws in the NID

tks,

-MC

Old 06-08-05, 11:51 AM
i didnt think that wire was rated cat3 , so your correct red to red green to green . (not to be condensending but you are stripping the inslation off before connecting right ? ) ,

since you only have one cable out the wall it is loop wired . the cable goes from the ouside wall to the first jack and then on , if the wires arent connected leaving the first jack you will have dialtone there but not at the second jack ect

to troubleshoot this you need to remove all the jacks (or at least untill you find the break )

if they are all connected , check for continuity by twisitng red, green bare wires together and then checking at the jacks with some sort of continity device (a flashlight bulb and battery will do in a pinch)

Old 06-13-05, 11:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
somebody's pulling the wool over someones eyes! there is no such thing as cat3(telco cable) with RGYB in it.

Old 06-14-05, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by frhrwa
somebody's pulling the wool over someones eyes! there is no such thing as cat3(telco cable) with RGYB in it.
I dont know it seems like Ive seen some two twisted pair with that wire colors used by alarm guys , so I suppose it could be rated CAT3

its for sure that the untwisted quad wire would never have a cat 3 rating

Old 06-14-05, 07:46 AM
M
damm I thnk I got the wrong wire

it does look eversoslightly different than the other phone wire but I swear the 4 colors inside the sheath are: Red, Green, Yellow, and Black

I also picked it up in the telephone section of the hardware store. I'm going to go make sure,

tks,

-MC

Old 06-14-05, 11:30 AM
it sounds like "quad wire " which will work just fine for single line voice service .

no need for cat 3 for voice ,