Phantom WiFi

Old 07-10-05, 06:02 PM
just.moved.in
Visiting Guest
Question Phantom WiFi

Strangest thing....
I recently set-up my DLink Wireless Router, and am able to wirelessly access the internet but my computer claims that I'm not connected!!

The "Wireless Network Connection" icon on my task bar claims I'm not connected. Even when I View the Available Networks, I can see my SSID but it says I'm not connected.

How am I able to post this inquiry then wirelessly then??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-05, 08:30 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
huh?

You obviously are connected.
try going to the command prompt by going to run and typing cmd
Then do an 'ipconfig/all' you should see the ip address you are connecting to and possibly even the ISP

Old 07-27-05, 08:07 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by just.moved.in
Strangest thing....
I recently set-up my DLink Wireless Router, and am able to wirelessly access the internet but my computer claims that I'm not connected!!

The "Wireless Network Connection" icon on my task bar claims I'm not connected. Even when I View the Available Networks, I can see my SSID but it says I'm not connected.

How am I able to post this inquiry then wirelessly then??
Most likely you have multiple network cards. Assuming you are running Windows go to Start->Control Panels->Network and Dialup Connections. Right click on each of the different connections, click properties, and check the "Show icon in taskbar when connected." checkbox.

Old 08-04-05, 09:57 AM
Aussiecheezhead
Visiting Guest
Yeah, on our Dell at home it shows "Network Disconnected" in 2 icons in the taskbar, but those are for the wired card and 1394 connection.

My tip is to change the name of your network from "linksys" or "netgear" into something unique. I always run into relatives that don't change this and end up connecting really weakly to somebody else's network two houses over. They wonder why their signal sucks 2 feet from the router.......

Also, set the preferences correctly under the advaced tab for network priority. There is a list, which can be quite big depending on how many WiFi's you've ever logged onto, and you need your home router to be at the top of this priority list. I got screwed up for a while b/c of this.

hope this helps.