WIRING A PHONE JACK. help me please

Old 07-19-05, 08:49 AM
I Don't Get It
Visiting Guest
WIRING A PHONE JACK. help me please

i have abit of a problem. i recently moved into my sisters house and she has a regular phone line. i am downstairs and need to hook up my DSL there(i wanna use her number though). i have a phone jack but when i connect a phone to it i have no dial tone. even the guy at verizon told me i should do it myself or they will charge me $95 to do it. i opened up my sisters jack and tried to wire up my jack the same but it didn't work.....hence the reason i am posting here. she has 4 wires...yellow, black, red and green. the black is matched up to black and that is aux or gnd (forgot)and the yellow is matched to yellow and is the other aux or gnd. red is matched to green and the green to red

there are a couple of letters on there but i am not sure which is connected to which. i can go find out if i need to and post back with them if its necessary.

i have no experience with phone jacks. any tips for getting the dial tone i so desperately need? thanks fellas

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-05, 10:36 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What you have to do is to locate the other end of the phone line and connect it up.

Old 07-21-05, 08:25 AM
I Don't Get It
Visiting Guest
now how do i do that?

Old 07-21-05, 09:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You look for it.

Check the main connection. Is there more than one cable connected there? Are there unconnected cables? Check each phone jack in the house. Is there more than one cable connected to any of them? Are there disconnected cables at any jack?

If you can't find the other end of the connection then you abandon it and run a new wire.

Old 08-26-05, 08:53 AM
cableguy714
Visiting Guest
Here is a pretty cool diagram of how to wire a phone jack

http://cyberxlink.com/phone_jack.php