Need to find GOOD inexpensive wires.

Old 07-24-05, 11:36 AM
jc.riedy
Visiting Guest
Need to find GOOD inexpensive wires.

I am looking for a source (or sources) to buy inexpensive, QUALITY, wiring for updating my home. The house was built in 1914 and I will need to update the electrical and figured I would try to run ethernet and new telephone wires at the same time.

Any help I get would be greatly appreciated. I sure dont want to pay full retail$$$$$ . Looking for cat6, telephone, & romex.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-05, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a wholesale account at a supply house and right now home depot beats them on cat5e prices
no need for cat6 (which BTW isnt evan a approved standard yet ) home network you won't evan come close to using the cat5e bandwith

I would pull two cat5e cables to each location . one for voice , one for data

if its at all practical use conduit then way , way,way down the road if you where to have a need for cat6 , fiber or coax it would be a easy upgrade.

cable cost is the smallest factor in a job like this , you should use quaility cable .

Old 07-24-05, 12:58 PM
jc.riedy
Visiting Guest
Thanks mango man. Hadnt even thought about using 2 lines for ethernet! Any ideas for telephone or electrical? It will be a while before my wife will go for VOIP.

Old 07-24-05, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by jc.riedy
Thanks mango man. Hadnt even thought about using 2 lines for ethernet! Any ideas for telephone or electrical? It will be a while before my wife will go for VOIP.
what im suggesting is one 5e for ethernet , one for telephone, the price diffrence beetween cat5e and cat 3 (typcial phone wire) is negligable. so I would pull two cat5e one for voice, one for data.

Personally I would hire a licensed electrican to do the electric to be sure it was all done right and to code.

you might be able to find one that will work with you and allow you to pull the cable under his supervsion and have him connect it. He can supply the cable for you .

I have done low voltage for over 25 years now but when the electric in the house needed to be upgraded I hired a electrcian and let him do it and I've never regretted the descion.

Old 07-25-05, 09:31 AM
C
Are you also going to pull coax for your TV's while you are at it?

In addition to two Cat5's, I chose to also two RG6 cables to each room. The four cables all terminate in one box with one faceplate. Very neat.

The two RG6's give me cable TV plus the capability of taking a signal back to the wiring center (ie, from a camera, TiVo, VCR, etc.) so that signal can be distributed elsewhere in the house.

Buy two Cat5e spools that are different colors so you can pull both at the same time and tell which is which. Same for Coax if you decide to pull it as well.

Old 07-25-05, 05:38 PM
jc.riedy
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by chirkware
Are you also going to pull coax for your TV's while you are at it?

In addition to two Cat5's, I chose to also two RG6 cables to each room. The four cables all terminate in one box with one faceplate. Very neat.

The two RG6's give me cable TV plus the capability of taking a signal back to the wiring center (ie, from a camera, TiVo, VCR, etc.) so that signal can be distributed elsewhere in the house.

Buy two Cat5e spools that are different colors so you can pull both at the same time and tell which is which. Same for Coax if you decide to pull it as well.
Exellent idea with the RG6. Also, where is it that you bought the face plates? Would you happen to have a picture to post?

Last edited by jc.riedy; 07-25-05 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Poor research
Old 07-25-05, 05:44 PM
jc.riedy
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mango man
what im suggesting is one 5e for ethernet , one for telephone, the price diffrence beetween cat5e and cat 3 (typcial phone wire) is negligable. so I would pull two cat5e one for voice, one for data.

Personally I would hire a licensed electrican to do the electric to be sure it was all done right and to code.

you might be able to find one that will work with you and allow you to pull the cable under his supervsion and have him connect it. He can supply the cable for you .

I have done low voltage for over 25 years now but when the electric in the house needed to be upgraded I hired a electrcian and let him do it and I've never regretted the descion.

Thanks for the clarificaion. My uncle is a licenced electritian and he will do all the final wiring. Im doing all the pullling and finish work. Exellent advice and thank you!