2nd Phone Line using CAT5

Old 07-25-05, 10:33 AM
jdroba
Visiting Guest
2nd Phone Line using CAT5

I have a new home I just moved into with structured wiring thoughout. All my phone lines use CAT5 and connect through a central pucnhdown box. I have 2 phone lines in use. B/BW is the first line and O/OW is the 2nd line. I have a single phone line (CAT5) run to the closet in my office for my fax, which I want to run on the 2nd line. Is there a way to connect ONLY the 2nd line (O/OW) to this data port only? I use the B standard for all my data. Should I be using the A standard for the phone jack since this allows the 2nd pair to be the outside cables to the primary pair?

Thanks!

Old 07-25-05, 05:00 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can use RJ-45 jacks for phone as a phone plug will fit into them but I would really advise against that and use RJ-11 jacks (they will still hold up to 3 lines).

Reason being is that even though an RJ-11 plug will fit into RJ-45 jack, the connection doesnt have the proper support and you may find connectivity issues later on.

Old 07-25-05, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wire both voice and data to the A standard then jacks can serve dual purpose.

you can use rj45 for voice , it works just fine, in fact current structred cabling standards call for rj45 for voice as well as data .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: