Wireless services

Old 08-03-05, 09:40 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless services

I hope someone here can help me as I seem to be too far out of the box to get answers to my questions from a company.

For 6 months a year I travel in a motorhome and would like to get internet and tv service from someone. I have called at least a dozen major companies and can't seem to get a straight answer to my question. Can I be on the road and have wireless internet and tv delivered to my motorhome? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-05, 05:30 AM
You have a couple different options. You could go with satellite internet through DirecWay. The only caveat is that you can only use it when your RV is parked. Ground Control sells the "Magellan MSS", a dish designed to mount on an RV that will find the satellite automatically. The dish can also be used for satellite TV through DirecTV or Dish Network, with a bracket that holds the LNB.

Otherwise, if you want to use the internet and/or watch TV while the vehicle is moving, you're going to have to go with two separate companies. For the TV, you'll have to get a low profile dish, like the TracVision from KVH. They have models that work with DirecTV, Dish, and even ExpressVu if you ever venture north to Canada. As for the internet, all of the major nationwide cell phone providers have cellular internet packages. There's a card you install in your PC, and then you can connect anywhere you have cell coverage.

One final alternative for internet access that won't work everywhere is standard WiFi. A lot of rest stops and camp grounds are starting to install wireless access points for campers. If you visit those camp grounds, all you need is a WiFi adapter. But that's not going to work everywhere, so if you need nationwide coverage, one of the other options above will have to work.

Old 08-05-05, 06:49 AM
E
Motherboard thanks, I will call Ground contol today. I'm only interested in internet and tv when I'm stopped.

Old 08-09-05, 06:38 PM
You could also try RV.net and do a search on there for your question.

I'm positive you will find lots of answers....

Ray