DSL data line wiring

Old 08-12-05, 07:46 AM
weirleader
Visiting Guest
DSL data line wiring

I hope I'm not duplicating a thread already out there - looked, but there's just so much! (if so, I apologize)

When I first had DSL set up in my home the data cable they provided from the wall to my DSL Modem was too short (to place it where I'd LIKE to have it), so it's been haphazardly dangling over nails and doorways in order to get it closer to where I'd like it and my router to be. This situation works fine, but looks bad.

My main desire is to simply create a new data cable (a longer one) out of Cat5 cable. Is this a bad idea? I realize there'd be some wasted wire, but I already have a heap of the cable handy and imagine I'd just need to buy a pair of RJ-11 plugs to terminate the cable. I've been scouring the web to find some sort of wiring diagram, but can't.

I could simply copy the wiring configuration from my current cable, but after reading many of these posts I'm thinking there may be an optimal way to accomplish this (minimal interference)

Secondarily, my ultimate goal is to establish a "network closet" where I hide all the wiring/modem/router stuff. Could I just tap into the 2-conductor portion that is bringing the signal into my house and connect that straight to the modem? (eliminating the need for a wall jack - since it'll be hidden in a closet) I'm confused as to how the two wires that enter the box become four wires at the jack - I assume one is a ground, but the other?

Hope I'm not too confusing about all of this. Thanks for any input you can give me!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-05, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weirleader

My main desire is to simply create a new data cable (a longer one) out of Cat5 cable. Is this a bad idea? I realize there'd be some wasted wire, but I already have a heap of the cable handy and imagine I'd just need to buy a pair of RJ-11 plugs to terminate the cable. I've been scouring the web to find some sort of wiring diagram, but can't.

I could simply copy the wiring configuration from my current cable, but after reading many of these posts I'm thinking there may be an optimal way to accomplish this (minimal interference)

This "data" cable that goes from the phone jack to your DSL modem is simply a phone cable, there really is nothing special about it. Any phone cable that has rj-11 jacks on both ends will work.

Old 08-12-05, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by weirleader
I'm confused as to how the two wires that enter the box become four wires at the jack - I assume one is a ground, but the other?

Hope I'm not too confusing about all of this. Thanks for any input you can give me!

The four wires you see are for 2 separate lines (each phone line uses 1 pair) Since you only have 1 pair coming into the house, the other pair is not used for anything.

I've found this site helpful in explaining phone wiring:

http://homephonewiring.com/

Old 08-12-05, 09:38 AM
weirleader
Visiting Guest
tried that

Originally Posted by seezar
This "data" cable that goes from the phone jack to your DSL modem is simply a phone cable, there really is nothing special about it. Any phone cable that has rj-11 jacks on both ends will work.
I thought exactly the same thing when I first got the DSL router and I used a 50' extension to get it closer to my computer - but no dice. I called SBC and they told me I *HAD* to use their data cable and, sure enough, that solved the problem.

That is sort of the essence of my problem - I want an extension, but when I tried a regular extension it didn't work.

Old 08-12-05, 09:40 AM
Four wire cable was run for telephones in residences to accommodate either two normal telephone lines or one telephone system line (some business telephone systems require four wires). The extra two wires in your setup are not needed.

Don't attempt to make your own cable to go from the wall jack to the DSL modem, but rather buy a pre-made cable. They are available in just about any length you could need.

If you want to make new lines to run in your walls, then go ahead and use cat 3 or cat 5 wire, but run it ti a jack, do not run it to a plug.

Old 08-12-05, 09:46 AM
weirleader
Visiting Guest
thanks

well, perhaps I'm losing my mind - just to triple check, I used the regular extension again to connect to my DSL Modem... and wouldn't you know it worked?

I swear I tried that way back when I first got connected and it didn't work.

But thanks for the input all!

Old 08-17-05, 06:42 PM
Some 2 pair Cat3 is all you need. I would stay away from the "flat" style cords for anything over 6 foot or so.

CAT 3 and 5 wires are as you probably know twisted together to cancel out unwanted interference.

Since DSL is basically a radio signal broadcasted over copper, it is very prone to interference.

Most DSL ADSL, SDSL, etc only operate on two wires. Looking at the clear plastic plug, the two center conductors.

Old 08-18-05, 04:22 AM
weirleader
Visiting Guest
A-Ha!

That explains it - I'm pretty sure I used a flat extension (and a LONG one) when I tried originally.