Telephone wire connectors

Old 08-12-05, 01:46 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Telephone wire connectors

Hi, I'm new here and a little bit new at this telephone wiring thing. 1st post and hoping to get some good advice.

I'm doing some telephone wire troubleshooting; .... actually, I'm trying to activate a 2nd line at an existing jack, where the 2nd line wires are not active, despite having an active 2nd line in my home. Sounds like I'm going around in a circle, but I'm not. Somewhere in my home, I think the phone company (or someone else) branched off my existing phone line and installed this jack in a room that was added on, but they apparently didn't connect the 2nd line wires, so I'm trying to figure out where this branching takes place. I'm looking at another jack in an adjacent room and want to test the 2nd line wires to see if they are active in there, but there's no exposed wire. There are these clear plastic square connectors that I can't figure out how to open without breaking them. The ones I'm looking at currently have the following wires going into them: (1) 2 black wires and an orange wire; and (2) 2 yellow wires and a white-orange wire. These wires are not attached to the jack; they're just bypassing it. Does anyone know how to open these connectors or do I just need to break them?

Like I said, I do have an active 2nd line in the house, but to my knowledge, it's only hooked up to a jack in one room (not the room I'm trying to have it in). I'm guessing the branching is somewhere up in the attic, but I have not been up there yet. I'll have to wait until it cools off to do that. Does anybody have any ideas on where I go from here? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-05, 07:11 PM
the connectors are a one time use item , no way to "open "them when there crimped thats it.

your second line should be on those wires , so you could skin the insaltion on either the yello/black pair or the ornange white pair and dialton should be there if everything is wired correctly.

sounds like a somewhat proffesinal job so the chances are good you wont have to go in the attick

Old 08-12-05, 10:32 PM
R
Originally Posted by mango man
the connectors are a one time use item , no way to "open "them when there crimped thats it.
Do you know where I can find these "one-time-use" connectors? I'd like to replace them in the event I have to snip the wire and discard the old ones. Would an Electronics Parts place have something like that or are they proprietary with the phone company?

your second line should be on those wires , so you could skin the insaltion on either the yello/black pair or the ornange white pair and dialton should be there if everything is wired correctly.

sounds like a somewhat proffesinal job so the chances are good you wont have to go in the attick
The 2nd line is on those wires. I tested them after reading that those connectors could not be opened. However, those wires lead toward the room that has the active 2nd line jack and not the room where I want an active 2nd line jack (the rooms are in opposite directions from the test jack room). I've already tested all the wires at the jack where I want the 2nd line and they're all dead but the primary line (Blue w/white and White w/blue). So, someone tied into the existing wiring (somewhere - probably in the attic) but only hooked up the primary line wires and left the 2nd line wires unattached. A couple of other things that tell me someone tied into the existing wiring to install this jack are: (1) the jack is on a wall that was not part of the original house and (2) the cable to the jack is a thicker cable w/5 pairs of wires. I don't see anything like that cable at any of the other jacks in the house.

Other than finding where they tied into the primary line for this jack and hooking up the 2nd line wiring at that point, do you have any different ideas on how I can get my 2nd line to this jack? Thanks again.

Old 08-13-05, 03:47 AM
heres what your probably looking for http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

not proprietory at all , home depot and lowes sell them , some electronics stores have them radio shack probably does

it looks like your correct and the second pair wasnt spliced thru to the room where you need the line . do you need both lines in the room ? could you swap lines at the nid ? bring the second line in on the pair that goes to the room in question and bring the primary line in on the second pair to the rest of the house.

or

you could just run a new cable to the room that needs the line , PITA but it beats going in the attick . the line could be run around the outside of the house stapled to the eaves ,and thru the wall , its common in this area to add cable this way as the atticks really have no access.

also have you looked int the atttic at all ? sometimes the splice point is close to the attick entrance and not that difficult ot work with

Old 08-24-05, 10:47 AM
R
heres what your probably looking for http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

not proprietory at all , home depot and lowes sell them , some electronics stores have them radio shack probably does
Mango Man, you were right; found them at Home Depot and Lowes. Thanks a bunch. As you will see below, I needed them outside and may need more depending on your answer to my question below.

it looks like your correct and the second pair wasnt spliced thru to the room where you need the line . do you need both lines in the room ? could you swap lines at the nid ? bring the second line in on the pair that goes to the room in question and bring the primary line in on the second pair to the rest of the house.

or

you could just run a new cable to the room that needs the line , PITA but it beats going in the attick . the line could be run around the outside of the house stapled to the eaves ,and thru the wall , its common in this area to add cable this way as the atticks really have no access.

also have you looked int the atttic at all ? sometimes the splice point is close to the attick entrance and not that difficult ot work with
I do need both lines in the room, but I found the splice point! I followed the cable from the NID to a junction box on the other side of the house from the room where I desire the 2nd line (it was tough on the eyeballs because there was an old cable that had been cut at the NID but continued along side the new one all the way to the junction box and was still connected - professional job right? - ha!). I found the 8 pair cable that obviously went to the desired room and only 2 of the wires were connected (blue/white and white/blue). That was obviously the primary line. Now when I figured out which wires/connection were the 2nd line, I tapped into them with the orange/white and white/orange wires and it worked (I used those connectors here), but not without some problems.

When I first made the connection, I had no primary line service. I thought that my eyes were playing tricks on me, but what I found out later was that there's a short somewhere in the primary line wires or connectors in or around that junction box. I took my portable phone out there and found that even the slightest movement of the wires caused me to lose primary line service. The connectors used on the primary line are those plastic covered crimpers w/out lubrication. I tried crimping them some more, but it didn't help. I've got phone service as long as I'm not messing with those wires, but I'd like to fix the problem, which leads me to my question....... As a start, should I replace those crimp connectors with the new ones you provided the link to above? Also, should I trim off a portion of the wire outside the sheath to eliminate the short there? Or, would you replace the entire cable from the NID? Or, finally, would you leave it alone, since its currently working? Thanks again, and I look forward to your response.

Old 08-24-05, 03:56 PM
plastic covred crimpers without lubrication are peobably beanies favored by alarm guys .

I would stip the jacket back looking for "shiners" (places where the insaltion on the conductors might be comprimised) . and I would replace the beanies with scotchlocks. if that dosent do it run a new line or whait until you have a problem with it but usually that happens at inconvient times , a liittle preventive maintence might be in order .

Old 08-24-05, 04:44 PM
R
This is what the old connectors look like: Closed end connector

It's ironic that they are manufactured by Scotchlock.

Are these "beanies" and do you recommend replacing them?

Old 08-24-05, 07:18 PM
link dosnt work , says it timed out . "beanies are white about 1/2 long and just crimped by pliers . I dont beleive 3m makes any,

what you are calling lubrication is actually silcone to seal the connection against mosture incursion which is why I would replace them .

benies are also avilable with silicone but I still find them problimatic

Old 08-25-05, 12:44 AM
R
OK, let's try this again. This is what the old connectors look like: closed end connector

Different website, same photo, but no reference to Scotchlock. I'm going to replace them, but are these "beanies?"

Old 08-25-05, 05:09 AM
electrcian stuff, not applicable for telephone work ,thats why your getting intermettent connection replace them

beanies, b connectors, good and pleantlys, ect ect they where used in the telco industry before the scotchlock came along , still used by some and heavly used by alarm peaple they are much cheaper than scotchlocks

Old 08-25-05, 03:48 PM
R
I just realized that my latest link didn't exactly show you the specific product I was talking about. It brought you to a page that had 5 different products pictured. The specific one I was talking about was the 3rd or middle one.

I found the name of the connector on the Gardner Bender website (http://www.gardnerbender.com/Product...CONNECTING.pdf.

They are called Nylon Pigtail Connectors and if you're interested, they are on catalog page 10, or page 7 of the pdf file that should pop up when you click the above link (if it doesn't, I give up with these links). Like I've said, I will be replacing these Nylon Pigtail Connectors with the scotchlocks. Thanks again.

Old 08-25-05, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by rdkapp
Like I've said, I will be replacing these Nylon Pigtail Connectors with the scotchlocks. Thanks again.
Thats the way to go, they'll give you a much more secure connection with gel to keep moisture out of the connection.