Structured media in the house

Old 08-29-05, 09:12 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Structured media in the house

I just moved into the house that I am building and I need to complete the structured wiring. To start, all the wire has been run. I've run 2 coax cable and 2 cat5e connections per run (about 13 runs total in the house). Everything runs centrally into a Leviton 42 inch media center. I'm looking to optimize my price while minimizing the work I do. I have a few questions for those who have done this before:

For the cable: I was looking around for cable splitters, and the largest sizes I could find were 1X8 splitters. To hook up 3 of these, how many amplifiers should I get? One for each splitter? Are there amplifiers that will amplify more than one connection (so I am not sticking two or three of these into the box)?

For the cat5:

Since the 4 and 5 pins are not used on a typical cat5 connection, I'd like those to double as the phone lines for the house. Is there a switch I can buy which will automatically process those accordingly? That way I can just split off a 4 and 5 pin from one of the runs and hook it into the phone system. Otherwise, I'd be forced to split off each 4 and 5 pin at the box, which will take quite some time.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-05, 08:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 63 Posts
At the seminars I have taken they said CAT5 uses all 8 conductors. You have 2 CAT5 to each jack, isn't one for phone and the other for data?

Old 08-29-05, 09:38 PM
S
Originally Posted by pcboss
At the seminars I have taken they said CAT5 uses all 8 conductors. You have 2 CAT5 to each jack, isn't one for phone and the other for data?
Actually, for 10 Mbps and 100Mbps, only 2 pair of the cat5 is actually used (in fact you can find cat5 patch cables that are only wired with 2 pair).

Even that being the case, it is still not advisable to use the remaining pairs for voice. Yes it may work but you run the risk of running into problems.

My advice is to use a separate run of cat5 for voice.

Old 08-30-05, 05:46 AM
N
I just want it to be more efficient that's all. I think it's a waste to run 2 cat 5 cables, only to turn one into voice....

Old 08-30-05, 10:25 AM
S
Originally Posted by nate123
I just want it to be more efficient that's all. I think it's a waste to run 2 cat 5 cables, only to turn one into voice....
Now to just to clarify, I assume you are going to be running cat5e as regular cat5 is pretty much obsolete at this point.

But think about this, even if you dont run into problems mixing voice and data on the one cable, you are really limiting yourself because further down the line you wont be able to run gigabit as you need all 4 pairs for gigabit. If you are running the cables now, its much easier to put in the 2 runs now than to add a run later.

I really wouldnt think of efficiency in this case since one ethernet cable wasnt designed for both voice and data (yes, some people do it, but its not to spec)

Old 09-01-05, 11:01 AM
KaosX
Visiting Guest
i would never reccomend mixing voice/data on a single cable.

Just think that if you do use cat5(e) or cat 3 you have a total of 4 pair to use for phones. thats effecient if you ask me.

then you could easily place a call processor (such as a stick) and have voice/fax/modems all on the same line and easily be separated when they come in to any room

Old 09-05-05, 08:02 PM
C
For the coax, buy one amplifer and a 4 way splitter, and see how that goes.

For telephone, plug your telephones into the RJ45, that is almost the most you can do, as you really shouln't run inside wiring and telephone on the same cable or jack. The most you can do is make up RJ45>RJ11 patches.