Utilizing a New Home Pre-Wire

Old 09-06-05, 09:11 AM
kmh27
Visiting Guest
Utilizing a New Home Pre-Wire

I recently moved into a home that was built a few years ago and has cat5e prewired to many rooms. I'm having some difficulty in figuring out how to make use of it.

From what I can tell I have two cat5e runs to each room, it looks like one is wired for telephone (a subset of the pairs used) and the other is wired for ethernet (all pairs used). I suspect that the ethernet runs (and probably the cat5 phone runs) are run in a star pattern to the basement.

The basement is where my confusion begins...
It looks to me like both the cat5 runs from each room are connected into two different 66 Block's. One appears to be for the voice cat5 runs and the other for the data cat5 runs.

I'd like to put most of my networking equipment in the basement (probably w/ the exception of a wireless access point) and have all of my data jacks live with 10/100BaseT. So that would mean putting my cable modem down there, which I think would be good since I'll probably getter a cleaner line before it gets split up into the house. I would also then put my VoIP router down there, which has built in switching capabilities w/ 4-ports. At this point I'm just focusing on the IP part of the VoIP equation.

So my problem is how to work with the 66 block. I have been unable to find any additional jacks to work with in the basement, so I think I need to either:
A) Remove all data runs from the 66 panel, add rj-45 connectors to them and plug directly into router. I think I could handle this one, but I'm not sure it's the best way to go.
B) Add an additional run to the 66 block that somehow gives me another port to connect the router to. Not sure how this works, if I would need a patch panel or how to wire. Maybe come out looking like this (pic 2): http://forum.doityourself.com/showpo...84&postcount=5

Recommendations? Help?!

Thanks,
Kyle

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-05, 10:21 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove the 66 block from the ethernet runs and buy a patch panel to punch them down on. Then get yourself some pre-made patch cords to run between your switch and the patch panel.

Old 09-06-05, 11:41 AM
kmh27
Visiting Guest
That's what I was thinking I'd need to do.

So wiring a patch panel will be similair to wiring jacks? I've never done either before so I'll need to get some tools and good instructions. Guessing I'll need a 110 punchdown tool?

Old 09-06-05, 02:27 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes. patch panel = series of jacks. Punchdown tool with a 110 blade is the right tool... if your IT guys at work are really nice you might be able to borrow the tool and ask them some questions.