Phone Hookup - New House Addition

Old 09-13-05, 08:32 PM
labmonkeys
Visiting Guest
Question Phone Hookup - New House Addition

I hope I can make sense of this so you all understand my dilemma...

I have done an addition to my house. I have one phone line into my house that works and we have it spliced to a cat5 cable that goes to my first phone outlet in the wall. The my electrician ran another cable from that location to my next location and then there is a third cable ran from that connection to a final third location.

I also have cat5e data cables ran to each outlet to one outlet and they all are home runs to where I am going to have my router installed. I am familiar with punching down the cables for the data connection at each jack but I am not sure how I can daisy-chain the phone lines from one jack to the next. I purchased standard USOC punchdown phone jacks for each outlet. When I connect the existing phone line to the first jack, I get a solid dial tone.

The next part is what I am not sure about. How do I connect and where do I connect the next phone line to that jack so that the phone line continues on to the next jack and so on? If I try and punch down the phone line on the same colors to go to the next jack, I do not get a dial tone on the next jack or the first jack. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-05, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you need continuity from working jack to all others ,

if I read corrctley each jack location has two cables one in and one out , right ?

splice those togther and also splice a short peice of jumper wire in , now punch the jumper wire down to the jack .

Old 09-15-05, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 64 Posts
Hope you didn't pay much for such shoddy work. Daisy chaining cables is not the prefered method of wiring. If you lose one connection you can lose multiple jacks.

The new standard for wiring phone and data is a home run from each jack back to a central location.

Old 09-16-05, 06:09 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pcboss,

Daisy chaining cables does not have anything to do with shoddy work.

In today's world daisy chaining telephone cables is bad design, but it's what might be done if you don't specify otherwise, especially if you go with the least expensive price.