how to connect new wiring at the telephone co box?

Old 09-18-05, 11:14 AM
togilby
Visiting Guest
how to connect new wiring at the telephone co box?

my in-house telephone wiring stopped working years ago and since then, I have been running 5 telephones, a computer (with dial up) and a fax machine on a single phone line plugged into the "test" outlet in the phone company box on the outside of my rural home. now switching to dsl and find this quite inadequate! I've purchased a roll of Cat5e cable to replace everything in the house, but am stumped when I look at wiring up at the outside box. how do I connect 4 Cat5e wires -- brown, blue, green, orange -- to the two wires -- red and green -- in the phone co box? are the two phone co wires sufficient for what I need? I see lots of other unused wires coming into the box from the street but then only red and green posts for connecting. thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-05, 11:19 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A telephone connection is two wires. In phone terms they are tip and ring. Use one twisted pair of your cat 5 wires.

Old 09-18-05, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
A telephone connection is two wires. In phone terms they are tip and ring. Use one twisted pair of your cat 5 wires.
while it really dosnt matter which pair , proper way is for the line to be on the white blue/blue white pair.

Old 09-18-05, 08:46 PM
S
Just to elaborate:

Line 1
white with blue = green = tip
blue with white = red = ring

Line 2 (if present)
white with orange = black = tip
orange with white = yellow = ring