Voltage of phone line

Old 09-25-05, 12:57 PM
BethBB
Visiting Guest
Question Voltage of phone line

Our phone line shorted out where only one jack works. We called the Home Warrenty Company who said "yes, we cover phone wires". The tech came out & said...oh these are low voltage, we don't cover this. So now I am fighting w/the company, I suppose there are different voltages of phone wires, and why they didn't tell me this in the 1st place. Anyways, I am looking for an "official" site, or advise on how to approach getting my service fee refunded. I had assumed that all phone lines inside the house were low voltage.
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-05, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BethBB
Our phone line shorted out where only one jack works. We called the Home Warrenty Company who said "yes, we cover phone wires". The tech came out & said...oh these are low voltage, we don't cover this. So now I am fighting w/the company, I suppose there are different voltages of phone wires, and why they didn't tell me this in the 1st place. Anyways, I am looking for an "official" site, or advise on how to approach getting my service fee refunded. I had assumed that all phone lines inside the house were low voltage.
Thank you!
i assume it was a electrcian , low voltage is the trade term for phone , data , alarm wiring . anything less than 120

call the warranty company back and tell them to send someone else

yes all phone lines are low voltage.

Old 10-10-05, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree, I would try again for another tech.

People in the industry refer to anything below 50 volts "low voltage". Telephone battery is generally 48-52 volts. When the phone is ringing voltage jumps to around 100 volts ac.

Anyway it might just be an easy fix, if you unscrew the cover for the jack take a look at the wires on the back of it. Make sure none of them have broken off, of none are touching each other.