Rewiring old apartment w/o removing drywall

Old 09-27-05, 03:10 PM
Coop
Visiting Guest
Rewiring old apartment w/o removing drywall

I own a 40 year old apartment which still has the same telephone wiring from its initial construction. The two jacks in the bedrooms upstairs have been unreliable and now the downstairs has quit working. I have checked for a signal at the outlets and received nothing. The signal from the box (in the basement below) is fine. Regardless, what I need is to rewire the apartment lines.

Is there a way to rewire the 3 outlets without removing the drywall? I have tried to use the old wires to run new wiring through (using cord). But being on different floors and being so old I think the wiring must be secured in place.

I have heard there are other methods to run the new wiring along the old. Or possibly some machine which can be used to find a path between each outlet. Is any of this possible?

I appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-05, 04:28 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attempting to use old wires to pull new ones hardly ever works when there are multiple bends in the wires, and it wont work at all when the wiring is secured in place.

Abandon the existing wiring and run new wires. If there is an attic and/or an unfinished basement then run the wires to where you need to go and fish them up or down in the walls.

Old 10-03-05, 04:29 PM
Pekinduck
Visiting Guest
Jacks

Before you rewire, check the jacks to see if they are faulty.