How do I DISconnect a second phone line?

Old 10-20-05, 02:39 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How do I DISconnect a second phone line?

Years ago I got a second line for the computer. I used an existing outlet and I remember Verizon helping me over the phone by saying "take the green wire and...". Now that I'm joining the 21st. century and getting DSL (God Bless Verizon) I can now get rid of the second line expense but I don't know how to disconnect it and use that outlet for my DSL. Verizon has been no help (GD Verizon). I just need someone to tell me to take the green wire , or whatever color, and do this or that. I'm not a complete moron, but sometimes I feel like one. Help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-05, 05:17 PM
simplest is take another jack off the wall and use it as a guide .

color code (not always followed )

line one red (or blue/white) green (or white blue)

line two black (or white/orange) yellow (or orange/white)

or you could go to the nid and take whatever is connected to what was your second line to your first

Old 10-21-05, 02:41 PM
M
Thanks for the reply. Do I just need to disconnect those wires at the box or at the outlet also? My Mom and one brother live in Fort Myers and the other is in Tampa. Get yourself to higher ground.

Old 10-22-05, 12:35 PM
disconnect at the box . thing is you want to know where each cable is going if you dont know where it goes disconect it

Im in sarasota (about half way betwwen ft meyers and tampa ) from the look of things I expect tropical storm winds and rain .wilma is HUGE most of south/central fl will be affected we are on high ground so Im just planning on catching up with office work monday.(assuming power dosnt go out )

Old 10-30-05, 01:06 PM
nynextek
Visiting Guest
2nd line

If you go to the NID you should find 2 sets of wires on 2 different sets of screws. You should also have 2 places to plug in a phone. If this is the case plug the phone into the NID to check for Dialtone. You should find Dialtone on one "jack" and no DT on the other. On the side with no DT (your old second Lline) you should find a set of corresponding wires connected to the screws that lead to the house. You want to loosen the screws, disconnect the wires and connect those wires to the set of screws that are on the side of the NID with Dialtone.