new phone lines

Old 10-22-05, 08:46 AM
Bauer
Visiting Guest
new phone lines

I have never been more confused ! I am trying to upgrade my home's phone lines. There is so much tech data about this stuff that I don't know where to begin. Yes, I do want to improve my computer's line also.
I have a "new" style outside phone box on the outside of my home, where do I go from there? WHAT do I buy? What do I need ? Can I do this without breaking the bank ?
Where do I go to get CLEAR and concise instructions on how to make sense of all this technojargon. I understand the cat-3,5e,6 designations.
I am not an idiot and I am versed in basic electronics and can read a schematic. THANKS !!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-05, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its basically as smple as matching colors.

From another thread:
line one red = blue/white, green = white blue.

line two black = white/orange, yellow = orange/white
Home run everything to either the NID or a 66 block.

Use Cat5e wire, preferably a different color than your network wiring.

There are some guides at ttp://www.telus.com/cgi-ebs/jsp/viewitem.do?category=personal_services_local&Region=B

Old 10-29-05, 06:15 PM
CAT3 is fine for your needs. If you can get CAT5 for about the same price, then go with that. It won't hurt.

The other big thing when buying cable is how many pairs does it have. Generally CAT5 has 4 pairs (4 lines). Most common telephone wire is 2 pair (4 wire) CAT3.

Old 10-29-05, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by scoob8000
CAT3 is fine for your needs. If you can get CAT5 for about the same price, then go with that. It won't hurt.

The other big thing when buying cable is how many pairs does it have. Generally CAT5 has 4 pairs (4 lines). Most common telephone wire is 2 pair (4 wire) CAT3.
actually cat 3 and 5 are both availible in pair counts from 2 on up , 4 pair is prety much the standard for both cat3 and cat5