telephones

Old 10-25-05, 05:19 PM
mexico1996
Visiting Guest
telephones

Not one telephone in the house works. Yes I paid the bill. On 10/22/05 we discovered no dial tone on any phone. I plugged a phone in the outside jack where the phone company instructs and I have a dial tone. I have disconnected two sets of wires and reconnected them one at a time with no success. There are five phones in the house running on two different pairs of wires. The previous owner was a do-it-yourself (nothing wrong with that) electrician so the wiring is a little difficult to follow. Any suggestions or directions might help.
Thanks , Mike

Old 10-25-05, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
disconnect it all

now trace one of the wires to the first jack , get it working and go from there one at a time untill its all back . you will probably finc a bad jack or cable segment

Old 10-26-05, 03:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
If you haven't, try unplugging all of the phones and plugging them back in one at a time. There are a number of models of inexpensive phones that have a tendency to hold the line off hook when they fail. I also had one do this when my cat decided to nibble on the cord and made it short green/red.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: